Skip to main content

Topic: Kellison Super T buggy (Read 8441 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Kellison Super T buggy
Reply #15
Why don't you just take it to Maaco or earl sheib for a cheap paint job. I bet you spend almost as much just in prep, and paint. Prob cost you only $100 more and the paint will be far better/ last longer.
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #16
Agreed - the paint job (even at Maaco) would probably be better.  However I still have to prep it before I could take it there.... and that happens to be where you end up spending the most money - on the prep.  Plus I really want a cheap metallic paint job!  :rotflmao:

It is really a simple matter of time and money.  I have lots of time and not much money right now.  I only bought this project to keep myself from going crazy while on sabbatical.  If I don't fill my time with something - my wife will find something for me to do.  I have 4.5 weeks left until I return to work.  If I play my cards right I should be driving this to work at the end of July. 

Finished primer today - wet sand tomorrow.

Reply #17
Well, I just put a RGB setup into my buggy of course. so I have some experience with it.  I know that I had to move my front mount lower to get the nose into the tunnel. So if you are going to switch back to a bug rear end you may need to move yours up.

I am told there can be sever wheel hop when using RGB's.  I've not yet noticed this, but my motor is shot. Not much power to it. If you do decide to go back to bug, let me know I could be interested in yours as a backup for the right price.  :)

Just an FYI from my experience when I did a rattle can paint job on my Ghia. I only did 2/3's of the car. Had about $100 in cans into it. With the buggy, I spent about $120 on the stuff to spray it and I still have half a gallon left. It's a MUCH better paint, will hold up to dings/scratches/GAS much better than rattle can. It's from Summit Racing, Peter suggested it and I am very happy with the paint.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #18
I'm probably going to switch back over to the bug transaxle... Just need to scope it out a bit.

Today I was removing the axle nuts and dang they were on tight.  I have an old harbor freight impact wrench that is supposed to do 450 ft/pounds.  The impact wrench has been flakey in the past (no surprise) however today I really needed it do work.  Basically it would impact and then spin freely unless I hit the side of the gun with a hammer to get the internal spring to reset.  Finally I decided to disassemble the gun, clean out the impact mechanism and then shove a bunch of grease into the inner workings.  That did the trick as I didn't have to hit is with the hammer anymore.  Of course that didn't end up bring enough.... Tons of Wd-40, heat from a torch and several minutes on the impact wrench finally did the trick.

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #19
This project is moving along pretty good.  At usual there have been a few glitches.  There are only a few remaining items left to knock out before I can drive this.

1. Seats and harnesses need to be installed.  I picked up some 5 point harnesses from a local racer that is going to have a wicked fast pit bike soon.  I had to pull the roll bar in order to weld a cross bar that goes behind the seats.  Welding  1 7/8 inch to 2 inch.  My neighbor is a finish carpenter and he saw the scraps that were left after making the appropriate cuts to the pipe so they went together nicely.  He was impressed by how nicely they went together (and that I did it by hand).  I will reinstall the roll bar after I finish painting it.

2. Brakes!  I replaced all of the soft brake lines, the main front/back hard line, wheel cylinders, shoes and drums.  The master cylinder is single circuit which is a bit of a concern for me, because I currently do NOT have a emergency brake (or handle... or bracket to attach the handle).  I'm not going to cut corners on safety.  I was able to cut the handle and mounting bracket for the e-brake off another pan I have in my backyard.  I will weld that into my pan (probably today) and build up some shortened e-brake cables.  If anyone has a usable dual circuit master cylinder they are willing to sell for cheap, trade, or donate - let me know.

3. Starter - I burned up the one I trying to start it the other day.  If you have a 12 volt starter laying around, let me know.

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #20
I guess if driving it to the end of the street counts as successfully completing my sabbatical project - then I've done it.

However.....

I've still got tons of air in the brake lines and my helper (Owen - our 11 yo) isn't much help when it comes to bleeding the brakes.

The "good" motor I thought I was going to run - did end up starting and running for awhile.  However it was also producing some impressive fireballs out one side of the exhaust.  I decided to double check the valves and found that the heads were not torqued down.... and it gets worse.  They wouldn't torque down because the studs are pulling out of the case.

On to the backup motor that came with the project.  The head was off this engine on the same side.... strange.  I was able to torque the heads down.  Put everything back together and fire this one up this afternoon.  Something is trying to hammer its way out of the engine from the racket it was making.  Was able to drive it to the end of the street before it died and pushed it back.  Fun times!

Threw in the towel for the weekend.  Taking the kiddos to the drive-in tonight.

Reply #21
Sounds like a VW project to me...
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #22
No doubt.... Typical project.

Adjusted the valves, timing, and carb this morning.  Also pulled the motor the check if the flywheel was chewing thing up.

Drove it to the end of the street before it died again and wouldn't start.  Might be low on gas.  Still sounds like a honey badger crawled up inside the motor and is fighting a cobra in there.  Not that the honey badger would care about that anyway....

It might be the throw-out bearing.  I may try to back the adjustment nut back some.

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #23
Finally got around to tearing the motor down the rest of the way.

You might recall I mentioned it sounded like a honey badger trying to claw its way out of the engine.  The motor ran up until a few weeks ago when it made the most incredible self-destruction sound as it died (and locked up).

I started to pull the motor apart a couple weeks ago and found that one of he push rods was about an inch further into the engine case than it should have been.  Further investigations discovered that the lifter was no longer in the appropriate spot.

Here we go:

The case was totally destroyed around the lifter in question.  Likely when the rod broke off at the crank.

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #24
Major bummer man!  What size motor was that?
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #25
It was a stock 1500, single port, nothing special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Reply #26
I would seem to me if you had such a crazy bad sound coming from the motor you would tear it down prior to grenading  it...
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Kellison Super T buggy
Reply #27
I'm back at it again with the buggy.

Picked up a motor from Catbox that needed some work.  Mike (from DIP and owner of ReWerks) did a line bore and thrust cut on the case.  I got the bits and pieces back Tuesday night.  Reassembled the motor when I had free time over the past few days. 

Installed it into the buggy yesterday and spent a bunch of time trying to get it started.  Good oil pressure and turns over nicely, but I wasn't getting any spark.  Timing light indicated no spark.  After a few awhile I called it a day and cleaned up.  It was then that I realized the problem.  The ignition switch I am using has accessory, on, and start positions.  It turns out I connected the wire for the coil to the accessory position.  When the key is turned to start it would cut power to the accessories.

Once I figured out the issue, I went back to the garage and it started immediately.  I will break the motor in today or later this week.
  • Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:51:29 AM by BuginU2

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Kellison Super T buggy
Reply #28
Struggled with a fuel delivery issue... Finally found a fuel pump that works and the motor starts on demand and keeps running.

The other issue I had last year were the brakes.  Couldn't get them to bleed out properly.  Pulled the master cylinder and bench bled it.  Moved the reservoir to a new location.  Hopefully the lines will bleed out now....

Reply #29
"Bench bleeding" a VW master cylinder is challenge as they don't have an attached reservoir. I have found that leaving the 2-3 outlet fittings loose at the master cylinder and allowing the brake fluid to drip passed the threads will do the same thing. Just to solidify the process I might have someone press and hold the brake pedal down before tightening the fittings.  This is followed by bleeding the brakes at the wheels.  I should note that this is good to do any time you are bleeding brakes and not just when a new master cylinder is installed.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit