Skip to main content

Topic: Super fuse block (Read 4082 times) previous topic - next topic

• nickdesantis
  • [*][*][*]
  • Type lll

Super fuse block
So it is raining...Time to make the wipers work I guess.  My son's '72 turn signal and wiper switches kind of fell apart.  Got a new repro turn signal switch and a used wiper switch at the bug in - all good.  Finally got around to pull it all apart and back together - and no workie.  So go looking at my fuse block diagram and for '72 wipers fuse is 8 amp in slot 2.  fuse is all good, but slot 10 is bad - new fuse and wipers again! 

looking on the diagrams on the Samba, '73  wiper fuse is slot 10.  I guess they used a harness from '73, but the vin shows the car born in March '72.  Kind of early for a cut in of a next model year part.  Any on else run into this?
"I drive, therefor I am."
                              - Unknown Gearhead

Re: Super fuse block
Reply #1
That sounds super...
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #2
I have a '73 but have not had to deal with that issue, yet.

My fresh air vent in front of the windshield has a blocked drain so it drains slow...
When it rains alot it tends to fill up my fresh air box (where it fried my fan motor) and then it leaks out of the vent down the dash and out the fuse box.
If I am lucky it will run all the way down to just above the gas pedal and run into my shoe, like it did today...
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #3
I'll tell you this Nick, Supers seems to be "Spare parts" kind of cars.  Mine is early 71 (late 70) and is difficult.  It had a beetle headlight switch in it that I had to replace with a while back and it took some trial and error and drive-way ingenuity to get it to work as the wiring diagram didnt match with either the part that was in it or the new one I bought. 

The hardest part of the wiper switch is making sure the wires are correct from the switch to the wiper motor...the rest is just power from the fuse box and shouldnt matter particularly where it coming from (within reason of course).

If you mean your fuse box tray thingy that everything plugs through is bad...I think I have one your can have.
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #4

I have a '73 but have not had to deal with that issue, yet.

My fresh air vent in front of the windshield has a blocked drain so it drains slow...
When it rains alot it tends to fill up my fresh air box (where it fried my fan motor) and then it leaks out of the vent down the dash and out the fuse box.
If I am lucky it will run all the way down to just above the gas pedal and run into my shoe, like it did today...

Sounds like you need to pull the gas tank and snake the drain hose....dont even have to pull the tank all the way out to do it..
1971 Super Beetle

• nickdesantis
  • [*][*][*]
  • Type lll

Reply #5
Thanks Mark.  For today we have all good... Never know about tomorrow!  I did send you a PM.  Nick
                              - Unknown Gearhead

• VeeDubYa
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Mark ll

Reply #6
I had a '72 super as my first car. The only problem I ran into was the wiper motor arms dragging across the aftermarket radio someone cut and installed themselves. It grounded out the power wire giving me quite the smoke and light show... But the fuses were all in place and standard.  Sounds like yours was owned by a DIY electrician. It might be adventitious to trace down all the wires when you get a chance just for piece of mind.   :cheers2:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php
Best Mechanic is yourself

• nickdesantis
  • [*][*][*]
  • Type lll

Reply #7
I think so....I want to know if it is a DIY job or really the '73 config.  Thanks for the link.  Thats were I was looking and saw the position of the wiper fuses each year.
                              - Unknown Gearhead

• nickdesantis
  • [*][*][*]
  • Type lll

Reply #8
Back to working on the Super.  Thanks to Mark for the header trade... I have welded a new flange and have a new muffler.  Is amazing how much better it sounds.  I can hear if it running good now! 
I told my son it was not in shape to drive until exhaust, signals, wipers and gas pedal were fixed. 
The latest is the gas petal assy.  It had a cheezy rollerball arm on for a pedal that did not hold the cable right and flopped around a lot.  Got the parts at DIP and pulled the assy out.  I was warned that the job takes three arms and that might not be enough.  So this may be old news to most of you, but a PO had done a neat trick on teh clutch cable lever in tunnel.  They drilled it and added cotter pin to keep the cable from falling off.  I figured I could get it apart, fis the pedals, clan, lube it myself and then find help to re assemble.  But it was and easy 1 person job with that pin.  see the pic.
                              - Unknown Gearhead

• nickdesantis
  • [*][*][*]
  • Type lll

Reply #9
Drove the super to work about a week ago and #3 sperkplug popped out!  First of all it sounded real bad.  I pilled over right away, and was waiting to hear grinding and nashing etc. but it just kept going real rough.  I got out and opened up the engine lid and could tell right away what was going on. 

The last time we changed plugs (our first time with this engine) #3 plug came out with about half the threads, so this was not a total surprise.

Napa has a thread liner kit for about $45.  It has a two stage tap and three liners and an expansion punch.  The front part of the tap engages the existing threads (or what is left) then there is a reamer and bigger threads section of the tap.  I ducktaped my electric leaf blower to the exhaust and made sure the piston was away from the head and the exhaust valve open.  At this point the next door neighbor came out and shook his head and walked away!

All in all, it worked great!  I tapped and chased with the Napa tool and the chips kept flying out of there.  You use the sparhplug to screw in the liner.  You are not supposed to need thread lock, but I used some anyway and never sieze on the plug threads.  Cranked it in and the plug unscrewed just right after the liner was seated....and we are down the road! :cheers2:
                              - Unknown Gearhead

Reply #10

... At this point the next door neighbor came out and shook his head and walked away!

Now thats funny right there. :rotflmao:
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #11
Great tip!
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

• nickdesantis
  • [*][*][*]
  • Type lll

Reply #12
It seems that if your son leaves the front licence plate stored neatly with the spare tire you just may be pulled over by Hillsboro's finest.......just sayin..... be careful out there.....Also may get u a stern "talking to".... I am thinking maybe this could be why I did not win several hundred million $ this week - It is a Karma thing....
                              - Unknown Gearhead

Reply #13
lol. Maybe you just have bad luck. I believe TotallyVw and myself drove around Vw's all around Hillsboro and I drove mine all around the state and have never been pulled over in my bugs. In years past though I have. But never in Hillsboro. Maybe it is that time of year where they must make a quota before years end? Who knows?  :dontknow:
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #14
Yeah, I'm a rebel without a front license plate.  At least on my Bus.   :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

(But I didn't win the lottery either.  :embarrassed:)
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit