Skip to main content

Topic: 64 Vw Deluxe Bus Project my 15 old son And I. (Read 13543 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 64 Vw Deluxe Bus Project my 15 old son And I.
Reply #15
if you are converting the bus to 12, if you dont have a engine yet i would just find one thats all set up, you wont have to change the starter right away i actually make the bus start faster with it, but the only thing you have to worry about is the tranny you might have to grind the bell housing if you use a 12 starter and 12 flywheel, but if you kept the 6 volt flywheel and starter you dont have to, besides that its just changing the bulbs out
always looking, always picking

1955 oval semaphore
1956 oval hardtop
1957 oval hardtop
1957 oval ragtop
1961 bug
1963 bug
1959 ghia
1963 11 window bus
1964 11 window bus
1966 riveria camper bus
1965 notchback

Reply #16
trays all rusted out  :beat_deadhorse:

Reply #17
Wires everywhere . Cut a bunch out.

Reply #18

if you are converting the bus to 12, if you dont have a engine yet i would just find one thats all set up, you wont have to change the starter right away i actually make the bus start faster with it, but the only thing you have to worry about is the tranny you might have to grind the bell housing if you use a 12 starter and 12 flywheel, but if you kept the 6 volt flywheel and starter you dont have to, besides that its just changing the bulbs out

Yea , It din't have a engine at all ,So bought a POS bug that had an engine I pulled it sold the bug but not sure how good the motor is. But it has the starter and clutch so was worth it. A friend told me about grinding the bell housing out we did that already just hope I grinded it enough? The motor has J tubes so we bought heat exchangers for $40.00 to put on it.

Reply #19
Had son prime the floor so front floor is pretty well done then we put serran wrap around wiring and he primed under the dash .

Reply #20
That is a pretty engine.  Is it painted red all over the case or just the areas seen from the engine compartment?  Some might say that painting an air cooled case is a big no-no due to heat disapation (post that picture on The Samba and see the havoc created).  I can't speak to it though.  I only ran with one painted engine and it was only painted on the corner seen from the engine compartment.  It did not last long but I won't blame it on the painted case.  It was one of my first rebuilds.   :undecided:

You are making excellent progress.  Thanks for sharing.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #21

That is a pretty engine.  Is it painted red all over the case or just the areas seen from the engine compartment?  Some might say that painting an air cooled case is a big no-no due to heat disapation (post that picture on The Samba and see the havoc created).  I can't speak to it though.  I only ran with one painted engine and it was only painted on the corner seen from the engine compartment.  It did not last long but I won't blame it on the painted case.  It was one of my first rebuilds.   :undecided:

You are making excellent progress.  Thanks for sharing.

Yea the guy had painted the whole block . It has oil leaks too so we will have to clean it up some and see what happens . Son want's the Bus Red and white . I bought two gallons of Silver metallic  car paint from a Paint store last summer  by my work for $5.00 a Gallon figured we might be able to just mix some red in it for a custom color . Told him we could do Silver top half and red bottom but he said he would save his money for white paint for top halve lol ... Engine looks way better in the picture than real life also when I pulled the dipstick out of it I smelled fuel on it so im thinking the fuel pump might be bad not sure haven't dove into it yet. Need to order a Gas pedal assembly repair kit because there was nothing there when we got it just the Flintstone mobile . So will work on gas pedal and getting the E-Brake back together, there was like four teeth missing rusted on it so found one at the bugin from a bug that works but need to find a pin for the little pawl gear or do something creative to hold it in . Also need to get the code # off ignition and buy a cut key form the Samba locksmith guy for $17.00 I guess because bus came with no key . The guy before us said when he bought the bus it had a tree growing inside he had to cut and a bunch of Blackberry branches in it. Wish he had some pictures of that.  :2up: The title was really old look like it had never been sold at all  and Vin #s all matched .

PS Yea The Samba folks would not like my front floor pan because it doesn't have round hole and the two self tapping screws that will hold square plate are not Metric for acces to the Master cylinder fluid  also . l :rotflmao:

Wish List
Cheap front and back bumpers.
Dash tray not as rusted out.
Chunk of roof area over Drivers door
  • Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:26:33 AM by 64bus

Reply #22
Got a lot better back hatch today so will get son to start sanding the inside so we can prime it.

Reply #23
Got a Key made on Samba to fit our ignition and door locks  for $20.00  . We should have gotten two of them but wanted to make sure it fit ok. Just gave the guy the code on ignition and he had it done in a day. Heres his link if anyone needs keys or needs to find there key code . http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5910088&highlight=#5910088
  • Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:30:38 AM by 64bus

Reply #24
We also just got the Accelerator Pedal and repair kit. I didn't buy the hinge or pin for pedal because they wanted another $12.00 for them and I had a door hinge already sitting in the garage so we cut it then just grinded a little off by the top of pin because it flares out then drilled a hole on other in for a cotter pin to lock it on . Was going to rivot it to floor pan but was not exactly sure where it went because we had no gas pedal or floor when we got it so just used self tappers . Might take self tappers out and rivot later if pedal works fine later just so it's flush and wont have the heads sticking up.

Reply #25
pedal

Reply #26
we ordered Omega Whitewall 14" inserts from cip1.com for $69.00 set of 4 , actually they have a sale right now on them for $59.46 http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=whitewall&sort=7&Search1=Search . Haven't seen them any cheaper than that . Heres a pic of them and one just laying on the tire to see what it looks like. We need to find some better tires now the ones on rims are shot.
  • Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:02:50 AM by 64bus

Reply #27
You missed out... I gave some of those white wall inserts away for free last year. I can't remember who got them.
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #28

You missed out... I gave some of those white wall inserts away for free last year. I can't remember who got them.

Why free they no good or ??
  • Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:06:56 AM by 64bus

Reply #29
I got my set in with a pile of parts that I got with my '66 bug. I didn't plan on ever using them so I didn't want them sitting around collecting dust and taking up valuable space in my shed. I have not heard anything bad about them.
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)