Skip to main content

Topic: Cruise for the Cure 2011 (Read 4123 times) previous topic - next topic

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Cruise for the Cure 2011
Anyone heading north this year?

Join us on Sunday May 1st, 2011 (http://cruiseforthecure.net/)

The family and I are heading North late Saturday. We have to be at two soccer games (last one starts at 3:30) then we can head North. Maybe we can meet up for breakfast on Sunday!
Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Cruise for the Cure 2011
Reply #1
As of today- we will be going in the camper bus.  We plan to leave Saturday morning.  I'm not sure of our plans when we get there, but we will be camping that night on the Kitsap peninsula near Gig Harbor. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Cruise for the Cure 2011
Reply #2
We are heading up Saturday afternoon after Comcast Cares Day.  We are staying at the Marriott.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Reply #3
We have a room at the Courtyard Marriott. I assume the same place.

Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #4
Have a great time all who attend.

Our legs don't extend that far...if they did it would probablly be in the supersized notch...

Hand out fliers and take loads of pictures...
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Cruise for the Cure 2011
Reply #5
We are in Olympia now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #6
That was an incredible event!

We drove up from Portland Saturday morning and spent the afternoon revisiting some old haunts in Tacoma.  The kids got a chance to run around at Pt. Defiance before we headed across the narrows to the Key Peninsula for a night of camping.

This was our first outing in the 77 Rivi that we bought this past month.  It was a learning experience for sure - we now have a better idea of what to pack - and what not to pack.  Saturday night was very cold (in the 30s), but we had an electric heater to keep the chill down.  We were up at around 6am and left camp at 7:15.  Unfortunately we didn't run into anyone from PO or Olympia on the way to Federal Way.

The staging area outside the hotel was packed.  I'm guessing there had to be at least 400 cars there.  I did recognize a few cars from some other forums and a bunch of current (and former) Volksters in the parking lot and hotel lobby.

For whatever reason, we ended up being one of the last cars out of the lot.  Which put us at the very end and out-of-sight of most of the other cars.  Even with a 2 liter fuel injected engine - I had no hope of pushing my bus fast enough to catch up.  We drove about 5 miles past Lake Samammish, turned around and found a spot at the park near the Kahiko Kula club.

Speaking of the Kahiko Kula club - in case you don't know who they are - they are a group of VW enthusiasts from the islands.  Basically if you are from (or have lived on) the Hawaiian island you can be a member.  This is what I've observed about this club - they know how to do a cruise and how to make an entrance.  When they show up - they show up in force and all at the same time.  They have an area setup for food and they are cooking for the entire club.  I cannot express how greatly impressed I am by this club.

My wife and I spent a few minutes setting up the camper for viewing.  We were really amazed by the number of people that stopped by and commented on our Rivi. 

Packed it up for the day around 2:30 and headed south.  Near Tacoma - a yellow and white Beetle approached from behind.  A little bit o' research this morning identified the driver and car as being "Sandfreaks" from the BugsWest forum.

Finally - in an absolutely bizarre random occurrence - we stopped in Lacey to fill up the tank and pickup some snacks.  As I finished pumping gas I hear someone say something like - "what are the odds of seeing you here?"  It was the lady that we bought the Rivi from.  She was heading back to Portland and stopped for some food at BK and when we walked out - her old bus was sitting there.  I think she was really shocked.

Fun times - I wish I could have spent more time talking to people, but I needed to pass out flyers and keep the kiddos entertained.

Oh and I saw this video from KOMO online last night: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/121060879.html?tab=video

It seemed like I was getting crappy gas mileage initially, but on the Key Peninsula - Federal Way - Lake Samammish - Lacey portion of the trip we got about 18 mpg.  Considering the weight of the vehicle - I'm guessing I have not much room to complain.

Reply #7
Cool stuff man.
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #8
Sounds like a fun time was had by all that attended.

The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Reply #9
Was not much fun from my view... But the turn out was great.

Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

Reply #10
Glen, did your car break down again??
eZuVor--Go Forward
When did that happen?

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Reply #11
The spot is about 1 quart of oil... not sure there is any left in the case today.

The spark went away and the back up dissy and coil didn't bring it back.

Good thing I have USAA and they are nice to me, towing didn't cost as much as I expected...
Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #12
That is a bummer the man.

So did any one take pictures while they were out there?

:dontknow:

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Reply #13
Fridolin
Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

• Smug
  • [*]