Skip to main content

Topic: Smug's Bugs (Read 2986 times) previous topic - next topic

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Smug's Bugs
At the sound advice of Peter I am starting a Blog my bugs and the wife's.

Latest status, new to me motor (1600 dp) went in last week.
I noticed the return spring on the release arm (clutch stuff) was missing refer to Tech Help Cars - Removing Pulley...

Any way now I need to somehow get the cross shaft to stay centered so the T - O bearing can do it the job is was designed for. 
Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Re: Smug's Bugs
Reply #1
Oh boy do I have a PO story to tell......

So this cross shaft thing was bugging me and I had nothing better to do so I went out and took another run at it. Got the shaft out with very little trouble. I can see the issue clearly now! :headbang:

The circlip on the shaft was toast and the bushing well not looking good at all. So parts in hand I head to DIP. I took them all the release arm and bearing and shaft. Figured I would get a repair kit and maybe replace the shaft and arm as they are showing signs of wear. Note the hole I drilled in the arm.  :2up:

Anyway I stated I need the bushing and junk for the cross shaft out of a 1965 Bug (swing axle)... We noticed that the bushing was the same size as the shaft. :huh:
That ain't going to work :nono: :nono: :nono:
So after measuring the cross shaft 20mm not the 16mm for a bug we began to try and figure out what year the bus transmission came out of. :embarrassed: But wait it is not a bus trans-axle...  :shocked: And the thicker cross shaft was on '76 or newer IRS buses.

Dead end  :dontknow:

So a later IRS cross shaft most likely a '76 might work! :cheers:

Oh wait the release bearing... it's a match to the '65 swing axle  :2down: Find that part on the shelf!!! not going to happen.

So the cross shaft in my 1965 Beetle swing axle (no it is not a bus trans-axle) is a hybrid with possibly a 1976 or later IRS Bus trans-axle cross shaft with the forks to support the 1965 Beetle's release bearing. The housing of the transmission/trans-axle has been bored out to accept the thicker shaft.

Guess I could put the the IRS bus cross shaft in and the matching bearing.... :2up:  Too bad they don't have it in stock...
So I have new clips and washers and a better understanding of why things don't really fit... I know I put 8K miles on this car after the restoration so the setup works but why would any one do that! :huh:

Oh well I managed to piece it all back together and it works  :cheers2:

Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Reply #2
on further searching might be a 1973 or newer beetle shaft with the arms from an older one on it. So can you put a swing axles on T1 1973 or later trans-axle? only ask because I still can't see why the buggered together shaft.
Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #3
Wow, I barely understood all of that.

Now we all feel your pain with the cross shaft bearing ordeal.... :wtf2:
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #4
I got it. So how long till they have the correct parts in stock. That is a real bummer, but you are smart to make it as right as possible.
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #5
I thought my bug was complicated with the multi-year and parts from different countries, but yours span even different types of VW.

Reply #6
Nice...maybe instead of Lizz it should be Frankie??  :2up:

Reply #7

Nice...maybe instead of Lizz it should be Frankie??  :2up:

No it cannot be Frankie, that is Bryan's (sp) Baja

Reply #8

No it cannot be Frankie, that is Bryan's (sp) Baja

Franklin it is then...
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Reply #9
Well your are all way off base :lame:

She is obviously a B#@%$ and will keep her name. Most peoples cars have miss matched parts all over the place. So I guess they all need to be named after Victor Frankenstein's monster.

No matter what you all think, she is a she and she is Lizz. Beside it's rude to try renaming other peoples cars or kids.  :flamethrower:
Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

Reply #10
Franklin is a good girls name...

Never understood why people named their cars, but do what makes you happy bro. :flamethrower:
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #11
Lizzy Buggy took an axe, gave her owner 40 whacks, belched some fire, gave him 40 more......to soon???