Skip to main content

Topic: JBJetta's Drop Box (Read 101569 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JBJetta's Drop Box
Reply #180
I got the case apart this evening. Can't tell what the cam is yet. I have some numbers and such to run through google. I can't tell what the crank is as I have not found any part numbers or company names on it anywhere. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Not sure if the lifters are anything special or what is preferred if it is a mild performance cam.

Here is a pic of cam

Here is two pic of crank

And here is another pic of that crack

But now I'm really stuck on the fence. Should I go ahead and keep planning on building that 1968 stroker? Sounds like a great idea! But I now have my student loans in repayment and that sucks up nearly $500 a month from funds to do anything fun with. Would also have to sell my dual kadrons since they probably won't keep me happy on this bigger motor.

Or should I sell my 1835 heads and my 1835 P&C and use the funds to piece together my internals in another case so I have a motor of my own. I already have dual carbs that will work well with it. Will just need to clean up my other case and buy new bushings, seals, rings, bearings, etc.

I just don't know what to do anymore with no money to do anything. I am quite happy with the 1500 SP I'm running around with right now. Sure, I won't take anything including a Geo Metro.But it is a borrowed motor from someone. It gets me from point A to point B though in style.
  • Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:09:39 PM by jbjetta
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #181
Actually just did a quick google search and got led to a thread on the Samba. Someone said to go look in the end of the cam for more info in the thread.

And it would appear that I actually have an Engle w-110 cam and not a w-100 as previously though  :2up: That should be plenty enough for a 1641 DP street car right? Or even a 1968?

• Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:55:17 PM by jbjetta

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #182
Nice.. :2up:

Hope you got some high rev springs for them heads.

I had to go with dual spring when I was running my 110

Reply #183
It looks to me like you have a decent counterweighted  crank. Put that with your 110 cam in a good case that has been full flowed, and cut for your 92mm p&c. Sounds like you have heads, and carbs that will work. I would build a nice 1835 for very little cash really. you could even put some 1.25 ratio rockers on it for a little extra pep.
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #184
 :stupid:

I must say that I totally agree with Brian on this one.
Build it as an 1835, you already have the makings for a great motor.  Put them togther as is.

If you didnt keep the lifters in order you may need to buy some new ones, the CB lightweights and new engle lifters are getting good reviews.  Dont use the Scat lifters as they have been having a bad rep with removing cam lobes.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #185
You have that other engine you picked up that probably has a good case.  Rip that bad boy apart, clean the case up really good, remove the studs and spend a little money on machining it for 92's and build an 1835.  I always liked the power I had with my old Baja that had an 1835 with Kadrons.  I went some places that 4x4 couldn't.

:headbang:
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #186
It sounds good in thought but comes back to the reason why I'm on the fence. You say a little money which equals around $400. And then I still have to buy new seals, gaskets, etc.

Unless someone would be kind enough to buy my Jetta for $400. I may just have to wait awhile to get it built. Just hope the borrowed motor lasts through all of the hate I throw at it or the lender does not repo it before I'm done with my motor  :rotflmao:

On a side note. I picked up some plastic bins at Goodwill today and some solvent from the auto parts store. Now just need a baster and a good brush. I may start disassembling the other motor tomorrow. Also found what appears to be a good complete 1600 case with everything except heads and P&C's for $100.

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #187

If you didnt keep the lifters in order you may need to buy some new ones, the CB lightweights and new engle lifters are getting good reviews.  Dont use the Scat lifters as they have been having a bad rep with removing cam lobes.

I was planning on keeping them together. But I had never taken apart a bug motor before. So half of them fell out before I knew what had happened. These look to have no wear on them. I can't find any markings or # on them to know what they are.

Would you be able to identify them if I took a pic of one?

• Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:49:44 PM by jbjetta

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #188

Hope you got some high rev springs for them heads.

I had to go with dual spring when I was running my 110

I wouldn't know what the difference is. Well I know what it is between dual and single springs as the diesel heads have dual springs. But I don't know between reg or performance springs. This is what I have. Not sure what my rockers are. I will try to find something identifiable when I clean them up with solvent tomorrow. But the part that presses on the valve itself looks pretty hammered. This motor supposedly only had 24k miles on it since rebuilt.

• Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:55:50 PM by jbjetta

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Reply #189
I can show you what a standard spring looks like after 500 miles...
Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

Reply #190
Dang. I don't think I put 100 miles on the motor since I had it. But supposedly they had 24k miles on them so the must not be standard.

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #191
Well I got the other motor I have up on the engine stand. It is an AS21 case which would make it a fuel injected case so it does not have the hole or mount for the mechanical fuel pump. Which is a good thing because some day I plan on going distributor-less and it will clean up the back of the motor nicely. But that means I will have to run a small electrical fuel pump. But I'm ok with that as it will mean simpler fuel connection to just the back of the motor and not all back and forth around the motor. Which = less clutter yet!

And these are the first ACVW pistons that I have ever seen with the dimple in the middle of the piston. Are these the very original pistons that came in these motors? Or something different?

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #192
All of the lifters will look exactly the same. What you wanted to do was mark them when they came out of the motor. The reason you want to keep them in the same spots is because the cam and lifters break in together. They then have a wear pattern that matches each other. I am not positive, but I don't think it is the end of the world if you use them in different spots.

Get that case to a local machine shop to have it cut for your 92's. I would  have it opened for full flow (or you could do it yourself if you are carefull), but that will help engine life.

Where the heck are you getting all these motors?
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #193
I bought this one off CL a few months ago. Supposedly ran. I think I paid $250 for it. The case I found for $100 is at the neighbors shop at work. Almost complete. I can't go wrong for $100 there. And I have a line on a running 1600 DP for $150. But it might have a slight rod knock. I wouldn't mind a 1600 DP for a back up motor.

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #194
So today has been rather interesting so far in regards to my car and car parts.

First off I should start out with the pic of the HUGE ASS yellow jacket that I found on my passenger side door hinge. I don't think I have EVER seen one this large. It was a monster I tell you. Luckily it was still too cool for it to fly around so I knocked it down and squashed it because I ain't having that thing around stalking me or making a nest in my car.

Next up would be the dilemma of which heads to use for my 1835? I was comparing the heads that I pulled off my 1641 to the heads I got with the car that I was told was for an 1835. Looking at this picture... which should I use?

I would say the one on the left as it has the larger valves. I can't quite measure them properly but the intake valves are roughly 40mm and the exhaust is 35mm. But that is one of the heads I just pulled off my 1641. The heads on the right are the ones that I was told were for an 1835. The intake is around 35mm and the exhaust is around 30mm.

Just for fun I tried to fit one of my 92mm cylinders into the 1641 head... And it fit! I noticed that they felt a little sloppy when inserted into the 1835 heads. So I was curious if the would fit into my 1641 head. I was thinking cool! But it would not fit in the other 1641 head. Turns out that the bore in the heads are different. The one that my 92mm cylinder fits into is bored out to 98mm. The other is only bored out to 93 or 94mm I can't quite recall. The 1835 heads are both bored out to 98.50mm. The 92mm cylinder seems to fit more snug in the 98mm bore. Does that mean those 1835 heads were actually bored out for a 94mm cylinder?

Either way I think I am going to use my 1641 heads for my 1835. I will get the other head bored out to 98mm to match the other and so my cylinders will all fit. I would assume it would be the cheaper way then having to put larger valves in the other heads. My 1835 is looking better and better all the time. I should have a pretty aggressive motor by the time I am finished. Just hope the body and tranny can keep up.  :2up:

Now on to my next bit.

In an effort to come up with some money... I have decided to sell some stuff to come up with money for my case work. I do have two car pc's and two touch screen lcd monitors. I didn't know which I was going to install in my bug and just how I would do it. So I spent the time kind of placing stuff in the car to see how it would look and function. I wanted to know what was comfortable and was easy to use. And now I know so I can get rid of the stuff I won't be using in my bug. You can see the stuff in the for sale section shortly.

I ended up going with the less powerful pc that I have. It should still have more then enough power to do what I want it to do. It also has the only internal dvd/cdrw as well. I wanted a pc with a cd rom as I do still have music on cds that I would like to play in my car. And some software comes on cd still. Not to mention portable cd and dvd ripping capabilities. Sure... I could have hooked up a laptop cd rom into the other car pc that does not have an internal cd rom. But where I wanted to put it is where my display is going to go.

I know purists and some enthusiasts don't like a cut dash. But this is my car and I don't care what you think. The previous owner already did a poor job cutting the stereo hole in the dash. I might as well just go with it. Based on what was most convenient and ergonomically comfortable. I decided and verified that the monitor I am going with will fit right here.

It just works out best for myself for eye level and viewing. I don't want to have to look or reach too far down to manipulate my gps or radio. That means I will have to move my headlight and windshield wiper switches. I will either place them level across where the 4 way switch is. Or down across where the ash tray is. I will have to weld up my ash tray though. I don't smoke so I'm ok with that. I just use it to hold my loose change anyways. I have an ash tray on the center console I will be mounting under the dash below the ash tray so I will use that one instead.

The is the center console and where I will be more then likely mounting my car pc.

I can reach the power button and the cd rom still easily. But I won't be messing with those while driving.

I thought about mounting the pc where the stereo was in the dash like this...

But the monitor would be too far back and low for my liking in the center console. I tried my other monitor with the build in radio and amp in the center console. It would have fit ok. But still same problem as my other monitor.

My other pc was just a tad too big for the center console. Sure I could fit it in the dash... But still would have the issue of the monitor placement.

Oh what a day!
  • Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:40:31 PM by jbjetta

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)