Skip to main content

Topic: Removing the pulley (Read 5979 times) previous topic - next topic

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Removing the pulley
Is there anyway to remove the crankshaft pulley without pulling the motor? I have the rear tin off but can't seem to break the bolt loose and doubt I can fit my wheel puller in the space. Is there a trick anyone can share.
My pulley is a little bent and I suspect the belt will fly off if I start the motor.
Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Re: Removing the pulley
Reply #1
Yeah - stick it in fourth gear, and give it a good pull to break the bolt loose.

Are you using a 3 arm gear puller or an actual pulley puller that slides over the pulley?  (something like this http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7013 you can get one at DIP)

Worst case you can use a piece of angle iron, 2 c-clamps, and a socket to get the pulley off.  Put the socket against the crank (in the hole where the bolt was - a 17mm works good for this), press the angle iron against the socket, clamp on end of the angle iron to the pulley, and then use the other clamp to slowly apply pressure to the other end of the angle iron (close the gap between the pulley and the angle iron).  Sort of a poor mans pulley puller, but it does work.

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Reply #2
Well that puller seems like it would work better than my 3 armed beast. However I tried the car in gear and am able to spin the rear tires with the car on the ground. The wheel stops keep it from moving forward so it is like a slow motion wheel spin going on. I will give it one more crack tonight.
Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #3
Well -put it in fourth, e-brake on, and have someone stand on the brakes.   :2up:

Reply #4
put some wheel stops in front of the wheels to keep them from rotating. or use your 36mm socket and breaker bar on the drum nut to keep the wheels from moving  

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Removing the pulley
Reply #5
Great suggestion J

The 3 arm pullers are useless in that spot hence the need to buy the correct tool or make one. (which is what i did)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:20:05 AM by BuginU2

Reply #6
pulling the motor is easier than all of that work, but that's just an opinion.

Reply #7
 :jaw: :wtf2: :stick: :lame: thats a ton more work.      IN EVERYONE'S OPINION 

HI TODD :rotflmao:
  • Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:34:36 PM by LooseNuts

Reply #8
here's my logic flawed or not;

Time to try and remove the pulley the first time let's say half an hour, time spent trying to figure out if there is a better way let's say 45 minutes, time spent asking friends let's give it 10 minutes, time waiting for friends to reply 24 hours, reading friends bad news 10 minutes, time spent trying to figure it out and eventually succeeding 90 minutes.   Max time spent 2 hours and 5 minutes Plus a day waiting if you add that it's 26 hours(rounding out the 5 minutes).

Time spent pulling a 13mm battery cable, couple three 8mm nuts, 10 tin screws, couple misc. wire connections and a 17mm up top, then moving to the bottom 1 clamp to remove the fuel line, 2 8mm for the heater cables, pull the throttle line through, insert jack under engine, remove 3 17mm, slide out, yank hard on exhaust, lower jack. Time spent 30 minutes (for those that say but you do it everyday, add 30 minutes and for the record there are Volksters that can do this as fast or faster.) Time spent to break the pulley bolt loose and walk it off with 2 big screw drivers or using the pulley tool (which from experience I can tell you can still easily ruin the pulley) which ever you prefer 15 minutes reverse process when pulley work is complete.    Max time spent 1.5 hours

Whatever works for you is the best way but considering(at the shop) we only get 2 hours for engine remove and replace(Buy the job book from VW) and we get 2.8 for a pulley you can guess for yourself how they think your going to do it if you work in the shop(P.S. book way is not always the best way and I'm not suggesting otherwise) just sayin...

Hi Jay  :cheers:

Reply #9
Here's my logic flawed or not.    :slapfight:

His pully could have been pulled in the time took you to add all crap up and back install in the same amount of time it took you type up what you added up..

Hey you know what. You should pull the motor. anyways to change out the muffler bearing that went bad just below your radiator  :2up:

• Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:20:04 PM by LooseNuts

Reply #10
and don't forget the pundulator valve while your in there, you don't want that going bad!  :sleazy:

Reply #11
I bet using J's method of stopping the wheels from moving you can get the bolt out.

What I like to use to work the pulley off is an open ended 17mm wrench. Put it between the case and the pulley and bump it with your hand (or whatever you can get behind it). Try to get it on the round bump on the case where the pulley goes in the case. Then move to the other side of the pulley and repeat. Keep moving from the left to the right side till it pops off. I have done this several times to get my pulley off, and have yet to scar up the case or the pulley.
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Reply #12
So having my wife hold the brake while I cranked the the bolt worked fine. The pulley came off with out any issues. Time spent between waiting for the motor advice was well spent with the family so all in all my method was the most productive IMO. But thanks for all the advice. 

And by the way I am getting really good at RR of the motor so over all it would have been faster.   :cheers2:
  • Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:40:54 PM by Smug
Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz

Reply #13
So my question then is....  

who would have, or better even how would the brake method have worked to remove pulley nut if the motor was out.  :dontknow: :dontknow:
  • Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:52:34 AM by LooseNuts

• Smug
  • [*]
  • Volkster
  • Volkster At Large

Reply #14
If the motor was out I would have put my flywheel lock on the motor and then no problem.

I think yesterday was a great day I learned something new! I now know how to remove the pulley without removing the motor. It is much fast and easier once you know.
Smug
67 Beetle - Dixie
65 Beetle - Lizz