Skip to main content

Topic: The Squareback Zone! (Read 66831 times) previous topic - next topic

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Re: The Squareback Zone!
Reply #75
Well, I would love to have the car on the road this summer, but my budget is trashed at this time.  Thanks to illness, adoption, and a lower than normal number of patients this winter we are having funding issues...

As far as parts go, Nacho I appreciate the info. However, I don't need anything except motor parts, seals, etc... The car is pretty complete now that it no longer resembles swiss cheese.   :rotflmao:
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #76
Well, I layed some more paint on the car this week.  Almost done with the base coats I think,  will not be a show car anyways.  Almost done with sanding and painting the inside of the roof as well. It was quite rusty.  Also painted the exhaust with VHT paint.

Still need rings, valves, springs, retainers, push rod tubes and carbs...
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

Reply #77
 :cheers2:
  • Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:53:49 PM by Revs71
1971 Super Beetle

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #78
OK more progress!  Short block is done, sealed and bolted up, yay!  Sump is on.  Oil pump will go in soon.  I now have valves, springs, and retainers thanks to Revs71, gasoline, and a bench grinder with wire wheel.  I will be able to rebuild my heads very soon.  Thanks Mark!  Now I just need some rings and to hone my cylinders!   :2up:   :headbang:   :flamethrower:

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #79
Oil pump is in, new cro-molly head studs are in, breather tower is on, and so is oil filler tube.  Three pistons are mounted, trying to decide if I want to use buttons or clips. still need to get rings.  Hmmm, just remembered I need to hone my cylinders.  Mark, can I come over and do that one of these days?  Heads are assembled with cleaned and inspected (if not new) parts.  Getting closer!  I still need many bits and bobs, but it is coming together slowly.  I need help with the end play setting if anyone has a dial caliper thingy. Don't want to screw that up.

I cleaned up my 009 dizzy, hope it is still good.    :driving:

Reply #80
 :cheers2:
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #81
Hmmm, discovered why people don't use in and out pumps on type III's.  Pump sticks out to far and so fan shroud hits it.  I will have awesome cooling on this motor, so out came the cutting wheels... we will see how well it works!  Pics will follow...
  • Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:04:08 PM by Kev

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #82
I will need to do something to seal up the gaping holes, but I think it will work pretty well.

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #83
There is a saying in the HVAC industry....Air don't care.

However you seal it the air will flow just fine.

Looks good the man.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #84
OK the gaping hole gapes no more! 

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #85
Thanks Duanne for the nice aluminum!  That, a few rivets, some sealer...

I also discovered that I can torque my fly wheel on without a lock, but cannot get the glad nut loose without one...

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #86
Did you drill a hole at each end of the crack to stop it from growing any more?

If you did not it will continue to grow.
If you did it should not continue along that line.

Just a thought before you bury it in the car....
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #87
Catbox, I cant drill the ends of the crack.... it goes all the way across the top of the piece up by the mount for the generator.  I used some JB Weld on it last night, and added a bit of reinforcement.  Will check on it today.

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #88
Well, changes... Turns out the used heads I have are bad.  So I will have to get new ones... with bigger valves!  Also will need new pistons and cylinders. There is a nasty chunk out of a skirt on one of these.  Used, never know what you will get I guess.  I don't hold anything against the guy I got em from, they were dirty and so he could not have known. 

Nice thing is, I can get 92's instead of 90.5's... then down the road a 74mm crank and BAM it's a 1968cc again!  Will need to get 40 HPMX's for it then....

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #89
Ok I. Believe I am going to go for it. Will be getting a 74 crank and rods... new slugs and jugs and heads as well.  Then I will have to get a set of 40 HPMXs as well...