Skip to main content

Topic: Engine running VERY rough (Read 1120 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine running VERY rough
Hey all, have an issue with my stock 1600 DP I could use some advice with.

It was running absolutely fine one day and the very next day it started running extremely rough, like it was not getting fuel. I can start it with some finesse but it will not stay running but for about 30 seconds or so.

I've checked the fuel pump and its pumping fuel fine. I've checked the idler jet on the carb(SOLEX) and it is not clogged. I replaced all 4 spark plugs. I checked gap on all valves. I checked voltage at the coil. Can't check timing because can't get it to run long enough.

009 dizzy with Pertronix. My guess is a bad Pertronix or internal carb issues? Any thoughts would be appreciated so I don't just start taking everything apart.

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Re: Engine running VERY rough
Reply #1
Vacuum leaks around the manifold?  Check for leaks in the boots and at the ends.  Try spraying some starting fluid at the boots and ends to see if it changes the sound of the engine.

Reply #2
Unfortunately the issue has only become worse.

Now I can't get the engine to turn over at all so I can't check for vacuum leaks  :2down:

What I've down so far:

I've checked the fuel pump and its pumping fuel fine.
I've checked the idler jet on the carb(SOLEX 34Pict-3) and it is not clogged.
I replaced all 4 spark plugs.
I checked gap on all valves.
Can't check timing because can't get it to run at all now.
I took out the Pertronix and replaced with points and made no difference.
I pulled the carb, dissembled, cleaned all parts with carb cleaner and air and no difference.

Am at a loss on what to do next.... :dontknow:

Reply #3
So I pulled the air cleaner off and looked down the throat of the carb while I had my son turn over the engine and I can see gas squirting so it appears the carb is working.

Static timed the distributor to 7.5 ATDC.
Pulled a spark plug, put in a spare(good) spark plug, grounded the plug and turned the engine over. No visible spark that I can see.
Replaced the coil with a new Bosch blue 12v and STILL no spark.

Rotor, cap and new plug wires are up next.

I'm really scratching my head on this one... :dontknow: