Skip to main content

Topic: VW Bus 2.0 (Read 30139 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VW Bus 2.0
Reply #165
Well after a bit of head scratching I finally got the engine back in and running this weekend.  I first got it started Saturday morning before the cruise but after two oil filters and about 3 quarts of oil I determined that the oil pressure plunger was very stuck.  At one point when the oil filter seal gave way  (4th or 5th time) and the oil stream shot across my legs (I was running the throttle) hitting the Convertibe 7 feet away I figured it was time to throw in the towel and drive an alternate vehicle.  Pretty darn good oil pressure at 2k rpm. 

After the lunch cruise I replaced the plunger and lubed it up well and have done better keeping the oil in the engine.  I did not have all the carb jets I needed to help with my rich running problem but I did make some changes so hopefully I won't be building up a bunch of carbon going forward.  I still have some water leaks around my front windshield seals and will need to address that soon.  Until then I guess I will keep driving the Abarth.   :grin:
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #166
Well, it's time to dust off this string.  This project is back on the front burner.

I struggled with my inexpensive Chinese turbo and am now working with an outfit in Arizona to build the turbo I should have had all along.  One other issue with my build was that I couldn't get my compression ratio low enough for the turbo.  I found a set of 5.325" rods which will do what I need but I had to send them to the machine shop because the "NOS been sitting on my shelf for years" Samba rods were the sloppiest rods I have ever seen.  Now, before you power hungry motor heads jump in and lambast me please note that it is not ideal to shorten your rods.  You get more power with longer rods as they will hang at TDC longer and build more pressure and give better power.  I made the conscience decision to decrease the rod length in an effort to reduce the .160" worth of cylinder shims and let my cylinders sit a little more securely in the case.  I opened up the cc's on the heads too which will help some as well.  I figure the turbo will replace any lost power due to the shorter rods.  :wink:

I finished cleaning up/porting my new heads too.  Mostly just softening the rough mold edges in an effort to create a smoother passage in and out of the cylinder.  I was pleasantly surprised that the manufacturer actually cleared out the area around the enlarged valve seat.  That's a common issue with the lesser expensive (read:  "cheap") heads where they take a stock casting, machine the larger valve seat but don't open the hole beyond the bottom of the seat edge.

I am also doing a shim adjustment on the front end in an effort to tighten it up and upgrading the the rear end with some air shocks.  To top it off I sent my transmission in for a final drive ratio change to 4.37 with the installation of 4-spider gear differential. 

Can't wait to get it all back together and on the road.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #167
That is a nice ride. Get it running!

Reply #168
Glad to hear your back and working on it bud!
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #169
Good going the man!
4.37's will make it scream...
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

• RogueVW
  • [*][*][*]

Reply #170
This is the REAL reason u weren't at the meeting...;-)
Matt
2007 Lil' White Rabbit

Reply #171
So after some really long nights working in the shop putting the turbo engine back in the Bus (with a couple of upgrades like a new Garrett T-3 turbo and a CB Performance serpentine belt) I got it all together just in time to haul our camp trailer out to Maupin for the VW Rendezvous last weekend.  All in all the power was good but the heat was not.  The engine got really warm during the drive and we had to pull over a couple of times to let it cool down.  Unfortunately it has to come back apart so I can make some adjustments to the compression ratio.  Also, the rebuilt transmission has a wicked whine in fourth gear that needs to be addressed.  Both are very unfortunate but it goes like this sometimes and we just have to charge ahead and deal with the issues until everything is happy. 

Still puts a grin on my face when I put my foot to the floor.    :2up:
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #172

Still puts a grin on my face when I put my foot to the floor.    :2up:

Awesome  :headbang:
1971 Super Beetle

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #173
Being a bad ass takes time yo!
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #174
Sorry to hear of the trouble my friend!  Your tenacity impresses!
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #175
Had to stop to cool it off? I was told by some in this group you don't need to do that...
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #176
Time for some water/meth injection...

Reply #177
Shot of the engine compartment....

Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit