Skip to main content

Topic: local engine builders recent reviews? (Read 15424 times) previous topic - next topic

• VeeDubYa
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Mark ll

Re: local engine builders recent reviews?
Reply #60
Final Update:
So the crank and rods I got from Russ are back up for sale. I found a motor on craigslist that I just drove to Silverton to pick it up. One smokin' deal: New everything (block, ported bugpack big valve heads w/breathers, single Dell DRLA 36 carb, high torque starter, engle 110 cam, chromo counter weighted bugpack crank (he said he spent over 900 on the crank alone) lightweight chromo flywheel and high pro clutch. He said the compression was upped a bit to around 8:5:1 I think? Does that make sense?
The builder was an airplane mechanic who said he made it all with the tightest tolerances and clearances. and expected 110 HP or so out of it. This was a project of his for a offroad vehicle that never came to be. His wife got tired of tripping over it in their garage, so his loss was my gain. 1200.00 for a top shelf turnkey. The craigslist gods were smiling on me today! It just needs to be installed and broke in (he never even started it).
https://picasaweb.google.com/scottpopma/20110717?authuser=0&feat=directlink
  • Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:39:41 PM by VeeDubYa
Best Mechanic is yourself

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #61
I would really doubt that HP claim with a single 36mm Del.  What displacement?
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

• VeeDubYa
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Mark ll

Reply #62

I would really doubt that HP claim with a single 36mm Del.  What displacement?

1776cc. It is top shelf everything, I know the carb could be better for a street application, but it was for a off road rig so he went center mount... if not 110, Ill bet it is one of the higher output high compression 1776s. I also trust it was built to aviation standards and will outlast anything a shade tree mechanic could accomplish =) or a stock non balanced vw factory motor... even then a stock longblock cost more =}

Reply #63
gene berg engine putting down 98hp with dual carbs and a nice free flowing stinger.

VW beetle powered by gene berg 1776cc on dyno

if that engine has a higher flowing set of heads, more cam, ditch the single 36 for a set of dual dell 40's and higher compression then in the video id say it could be possible..
current cars: 2005 Jetta GLI 1.8t 6-spd stage 2, 1976 Jeep CJ-5

Past cars: 1993 SLC corrado, 1969 std beetle, 1965 beetle, 1984 jetta GLI

Reply #64
I doubt it is getting 110 with a single carb, but it will be a fun motor none the less. That is a great price too for a brand new motor. Get another 36 and some linkage, and it will really rip!!
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• VeeDubYa
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Mark ll

Reply #65

I doubt it is getting 110 with a single carb, but it will be a fun motor none the less. That is a great price too for a brand new motor. Get another 36 and some linkage, and it will really rip!!

I figured 110hp was on the way high side, I would be happy with 80  :2up: but I couldn't have dreamed a better line up of new internal components. For sure that is my next goal, I hope at the bug-in I might come up with one... :cheers2: or trade the other CW crank and rods I got...  But in the meantime, I think I will notice and enjoy the few more HP in the 'ol butt dyno over my old tired 1500cc singleport  :rotflmao:

-Got the internals list that just came from my email in box: I guess the flywheel was SCAT not bugpack... And I think I may change out to my German SVDA dizzy depending on how it runs, never used a 090...
All rotating parts staticly balanced within .5 grams (not dynamic)

High torque starter
090 distributor
8 Dowel Pin Counterweight Crankshaft
SCAT 11 lb. Lightweight 8 Dowel Pin Flywheel
ibeam Chromoly Connecting Rods
Chromoly 1.25 Rocker Arms
Chromoly Gland Nut & Thick Washer
SCAT HD Lifters
Engle 110 cam
Straight cut cam gears
Case set to full flow oil with external oil filter
New DogHouse offset Oil Cooler
041 big valve racing heads machined .025 to increase compression
Copper head rings installed for increased compression .015
  • Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:56:21 PM by VeeDubYa

Reply #66
Uhhh... Copper head gasket increases compression??? It looks to me like the heads have been fly cut .025 and copper is moving you back out .015 (though giving you a better seal)... That is total of .010 out of the chamber.... As far as taking CCs out .010 is not hardly enough to make a difference... Do you know what your deck hight is??? You don't Realy want it too high anyway with a cam that small... With a set of dual throat duals it would still run good and smooth...

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #67
What ever it is, it is going to be tons of fun over a stocker anyday!

Nice score the man.

Now get it in and to the meeting.....

:cheers2:
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

• VeeDubYa
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Mark ll

Reply #68
Got the ICT's on, and the motor in. Still breaking it in @ around 250mi or so. But so far so good plenty of power to spare! I just needto get the carbs leaned out a touch as they are throwing out a black patch on the pavement if i sit too long... and the GF said it smelled heavy  of gas when behind me... other than that STOKED with the 1776cc

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #69
Looks pretty sweet!
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

Reply #70
Looks good man. Once you get those carbs tuned right you will be very happy with it.
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• VeeDubYa
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Mark ll

Reply #71
OK... it has been a while... And a LOT has happened since I last posted. I had Halsey install the heater boxes from my old motor, swap em out, and install the baby webbers and tune em. He charged me 1200.00 (600 in parts) 550 for the webbers without giving me a quote before he started the work. To say the least, I was not to stoked. But I had my baby and was on my way! I broke her in for 300 miles nice and easy. I then took her back to them for a valve job, that I was under the impression was included in the first bill since he wrote "take back for valve adjustment @ 300 mi.". I was wrong. He didn't quote me again,  and charged me 90.00 for the valve job saying the tuck up exhaust is "hard to remove"...
I wont even get into the earlier problems I found after they did my tie rods.  (I had 1.5 turns to the left and 2.5 to the right and tire rub,  due to them not setting the stops correct)

SO... I had a trip planned in the bug after the break in. I was 2 hrs south  on I-5 and decided to stop in Eugene for some coffee at Espresso Roma (an old haunt of mine). I park and decide to check the motor for any warning signs. I look at the pulley... No bolt. I look to the left. I see the nice shiny chromo bolt sitting to the left. I don't see a washer, but was thankful of the sand seal that held it all together. I then ended up at "The No Name Garage" and the owner there came out with a wrench, locktight and a washer. Torqued me down and sent My girl and I on our way for nothing more than a peace sign!

He said that Halsey must have turned my engine over backward, loosening the bolt during the valve job. The 90 dollar valve job !!! So long story short. Wait until you can do the work yourself. You will save a lot of heart ache. (Also... on the way back I blew my tranny in 4th crusing @ 75... but that is another story... and thread that I will need to start regarding tranny brands, shops etc.......) :beat_deadhorse: :stupid: :blabla:
  • Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:29:26 AM by VeeDubYa

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #72
Ouch!
$1200 bill without knowing it is coming hurts alot!

I like to ask a ba-zillion questions before I turn over my toys for someone else to work on, which doesn't often happen.  I have my other car at a shop now and one of my like new chrome rims was curbed while in his possession. "We didn't do that"
Asshat's...
Now I remember why I don't generally trust other people to do what I want even though it can be done now instead of when I can get to it...

I hope it keeps on chugging along for you.
:cheers2:
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #73
Dang, 550 for Baby Webers?  That's a markup of at least 100 bucks over what they're priced at Vee Dub Parts Unlimited in Huntington Beach... 90 bucks for a valve adjustment because of the muffler?  sheeeyiiit.  I'm not impressed with what I'm reading of this business. and the pulley bolt should have been torqued down to 36 ft lbs; no way it would loosen rotating the engine over for a valve adjustment unless you have like 14:1 compression...lol... and even then...I dunno.

• VeeDubYa
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Mark ll

Reply #74
I know... the webers were way overpriced... He said it needed a custom fabricated linkage and nothing "works out of the box". I had to go back the next day because the carbs were only opening less than 3/4 with the peddle to the floor... due to the angle of the cable pulling on the linkage. so they tack welded up an extended arm "free"... he said it opens 90 % now... It still had enough power to blow my tranny in 4th apparently  :2down: , but I would expect 100% opening on a purposely built carb setup...