Skip to main content

Topic: 1.6 Diesel, guy wants me to make an offer. (Read 1864 times) previous topic - next topic

1.6 Diesel, guy wants me to make an offer.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/372334562.html

I've emailed him twice about what would be fair, and he just keeps saying "Make me an offer", kinda frustrating. 

I want the engine because its one step closer to my biodiesel car. :D  It has 23 less hp than the one in the dasher but I can pretty much bolt on a turbo if I ever find one.

Anyone know what would be a non-embarrassing offer?  Also, what are the steps with the DMV when doing an engine swap? Do you need to notify them?

Also: Todd, when can we buy that Engine stand ;)

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #1
If you need to DEQ your car, you cannot do an engine swap except to what it came with...
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

Reply #2
Most engine building companies sell them for 1300-1700 plus core. But that is ready to go. If the guy can not document the rebuild with recent receipts from a reputable shop, the value is much lower. Since the head work still needs to be done, I'm guessing he did the rebuild himself. That also means you probably cant start the engine to verify it was built correctly. Depending on whether or not the valves are seating you may not even be able to do a compression test. With all that in mind I wouldn't offer him more than $350 or so for it.

Reply #3
Quote from: "Kev"
If you need to DEQ your car, you cannot do an engine swap except to what it came with...

not being mean but that is not entirly true. i know a g60 corrado that has a vr6 which was not factory that passed, they told me it would be no problem puting a v8 in my jeep which came with a 6. when logan had trouble with the corrado he talked to the manager and was told that "the engine has to pass the requirments for what it was in" so they ran the 90 g60 corrado as a "97 passat" and it passed flying colors.....

just my $0.02.
current cars: 2005 Jetta GLI 1.8t 6-spd stage 2, 1976 Jeep CJ-5

Past cars: 1993 SLC corrado, 1969 std beetle, 1965 beetle, 1984 jetta GLI

Reply #4
Jeff is kind of correct. The VIN# of the car dictates what emission standards are required of the engine. I.E. If you put a 1990 2.0L 16V into a 1995 Golf, you'd have to DEQ the car as a 1996. The engine would have to pass 1996 standards. That's the Oregon Law as far as I can remember....

Reply #5
Johnny is right and so is Jeff. PLUS!! It's a 77 so all they are going to do is stick the pipe in the end and check emissions, and they will run a mirror under it to see if it has a CAT (Which I do not belive you need as "once again" it's a 77.

That being said: if it smokes badly you will be screwed. Personally I would buy the engine and rebuild it. Then,,,I would take it through as a gas engine then do the swap.

And I think $400 would be a fair offer. If he knows what he has he might want more. Offer him $400 and see what he says, if it's to low he will let you know.

P.S. If you want to run BIO in that engine you will need to change out the jets. Easy Deal.

Reply #6
dont get your hopes up with the cat issue..... atleast on my jeep it was a pain. they told me after years of taking it through that it needed a cat. its a 76 by the way...(why did they have to stop there!!!) they told me some tell tell signs are...

on the gas gauge or filler door if it says "unleaded fuel only" then its possible that it came with a cat...mine says that

the thing that threw them was the fact that it still had the old school 2.5" opening for the gas nozle, the leaded fuel nozles were larger if i remember corectly, which ment my jeep didnt have a cat.

they also told me that it could need a cat since it is a local car and we are so close to california.....

finally they let me go without one....i think it just depends on who test's you...oh and they failed me once because of a "poof" of visable smoke out of my origional 30 year old engine, even thought the numbers were all around 50% of maximum...just depends on who you get i think...

(rant off...lol) :twisted:
current cars: 2005 Jetta GLI 1.8t 6-spd stage 2, 1976 Jeep CJ-5

Past cars: 1993 SLC corrado, 1969 std beetle, 1965 beetle, 1984 jetta GLI

Reply #7
Quote from: "OldsCool"

That being said: if it smokes badly you will be screwed. Personally I would buy the engine and rebuild it.

That would probably be best, at least open it up and make sure everything is put together correctly, torqued properly, etc if this guy did the work himself.