Skip to main content

Topic: 1772cc engine and flyer tranny swap (Read 3021 times) previous topic - next topic

1772cc engine and flyer tranny swap
Hello there I met most of you at the club meeting this week but for those of you who I have yet to meet HELLO! I drive a white 66' with a 1300cc and am looking to get a little more meat under the lid. I'm buying a blue 62' with a 1772cc and a freeway flyer tranny from a fellow down in Medford. My plan is to pull the engine and tranny out of the blue 62' and to have Mike (DIP Beaverton) do some work on it. Once the 1772 is ready from mike I'm going to take my 1300 and tranny out of my 66' bug and replace it with the 1772 / freeway flyer tranny.  This whole process will be a lot of fun I think because I've never done anything like this before. I also think it would be a good idea for an article for the front page.

"1772 Engine and Flyer Tranny swap" - what do you think OldsCool? The old switch'eroo

I should be on my way up from Medford this weekend sometime so if anyone feels like dropping by let me know!

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #1
1772?  Or is it a 1776?  Just curious...  Sounds like a fun shop day!  Oh, and you cannot find a better mechanic than Mike... he built my 1968cc!
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

Reply #2
1776 oops!
ha.

This should be a big improvment from my current 1300.... I hope.

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #3
Like I said in the other post, about double the horsepower!

Is that the new motor?  If so, promise me you will get rid of the chrome engine tin!  Bad news, it holds in 10 to 20 degrees more heat that painted.  I may have some stock tins around...
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

Reply #4
Quote from: "Kev"
Like I said in the other post, about double the horsepower!

Is that the new motor?  If so, promise me you will get rid of the chrome engine tin!  Bad news, it holds in 10 to 20 degrees more heat that painted.  I may have some stock tins around...

Yes this is the engine. Huh I would have thought the silver tin would be good for the tin... but okey! I don't really like silver anyhow. Thanks for your advice!

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #5
Yes, it holds in more heat, and heat is bad...  looks ok from the pics, are you going to have Mike rebuild it, or what?

Reply #6
yes, and I'm pretty exicited about the whole thing! My bug is going to love it! I can't wait!

Reply #7
Hope I am around when it all takes place. I would like to hep out and watch......mainly watch :(  as I am new to all this.

I'm sure you'll like the new engine!!

Good meeting you too!
Larry

Reply #8
Quote from: "newbie2vw"

I'm sure you'll like the new engine!!

Larry

Good question... I will be once Mike rebuilds it!!!

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #9
what are you going to do with the other car?( :twisted:  as the gears start to turn in my head).  are you going to keep it?  is it a good car?  what does it look like?(other than its a bug).

i have been wantin to chop a top and make a volksrod...
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

ANY ADVISE??????
Reply #10
Some of you already know my plan to do an engine and transmission swap. My dilemma is that I really want a bigger engine in my bug and a new transmission. Problem is that buying a new one (1776 or a 1900..) is really expensive like, 3 or 4 thousand. not including the transmission... so my plan is to find a bug for sale with the engine and transmission I want already in it, this bug on the samba.com 

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=475311

Has the engine (1776) and the transmission I want.  It is a 1962. Almost perfect because I can just do a straight swap! and put my stock transmission and stock 1300 (which runs awesome) back in this blue 62 and sell it in a month or so... does anyone think this is a terrible idea or would anyone suggest something else? This guy wants 3,000 for it and I think I could sell it for at least 2,500 when I finished with the swap.. ARRRRRR.. I don't know?

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #11
you can build a decent 1776 for less than 2 grand with mostly new parts, and get a freeway flyer brand new for 5 or 600 rather than getting a mystery.....

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #12
My 1958cc was about 1500 on parts. with my own case and heads, and 500 to Mike to build it...

Ah ha!
Reply #13
So I drove the new 62' up from Medford on Sunday and the drive couldn't have been better. I spent all day Monday cleaning her up and now I am starting to prep for my first engine removal. I started draining the engine oil on Tuesday so I think it should be pretty dry by now don't you think? After work today I'll start draining the trannsmision fluid. That 1776 goes pretty good! It should still be a month or so until I get the motor and tranny back from being rebuilt.....  :x  Good stuff though I cant wait till the cruise to PIR for the bug-in! Its to bad I wont have the new engine in my 66 though..

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #14
You should be very happy!  The 1776 is a strong engine, so have fun!