Skip to main content

Topic: I know it's a longshot but.... (Read 1361 times) previous topic - next topic

I know it's a longshot but....
Does anyone have an exhaust gas analyzer? I need to use one for an hour or so to get my mixture and emissions dialed in.

Reply #1
I've actually used the DMV in the past. If you call the nearest depot and tell them what you are looking for they may be able to help. Just a thought or talk to small garage about using theirs. You might get lucky. Just a thought.
Rodney

Reply #2
Quote from: "bughia"
I've actually used the DMV in the past. If you call the nearest depot and tell them what you are looking for they may be able to help. Just a thought or talk to small garage about using theirs. You might get lucky. Just a thought.
Rodney

I meant DEQ at DMV :oops: And of course you get one reading, but if it fails its free 8)

Reply #3
I live in Polk County so I'm not required to DEQ my bus. I wonder how the law would apply to the bus if I lived there though. It's stated right on the sticker that it is a non-catalyst emissions control system.

I don't think they would let me tune my mixture at the DEQ station either.

Reply #4
Quote from: "buspilot"
I live in Polk County so I'm not required to DEQ my bus. I wonder how the law would apply to the bus if I lived there though. It's stated right on the sticker that it is a non-catalyst emissions control system.

I don't think they would let me tune my mixture at the DEQ station either.

No they wont but off sight you can do adjustments and go through again until it is right or until it would pass their specs which isn't always the best for drivability for our older rides. Good luck get'n right.
Rodney

Reply #5
That may work, but it could get expensive. I really just need the machine for the rich/lean function. My other option, I guess, is to buy a cylinder head temp gauge and use that for tuning, as my main goal in tuning the mixture is to reduce head temps.

I also read a really cool article on replacing the Temp Sensor 2 (head temp sensor) with a potentiometer that's located in the cab. With that you can fine tune your mixture on the fly, and with the use of a CHT you can keep your head temps low. The guy who thought of it said he was able to reduce uphill temps quite a bit by enriching the mixture, then leaning it back out afterwards to increase gas mileage.

Reply #6
Quote from: "buspilot"
That may work, but it could get expensive. I really just need the machine for the rich/lean function. My other option, I guess, is to buy a cylinder head temp gauge and use that for tuning, as my main goal in tuning the mixture is to reduce head temps.

I also read a really cool article on replacing the Temp Sensor 2 (head temp sensor) with a potentiometer that's located in the cab. With that you can fine tune your mixture on the fly, and with the use of a CHT you can keep your head temps low. The guy who thought of it said he was able to reduce uphill temps quite a bit by enriching the mixture, then leaning it back out afterwards to increase gas mileage.

What I caught sounds cool  8O  8)