Skip to main content

Topic: Bugorama 72 trip (Read 1022 times) previous topic - next topic

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Bugorama 72 trip
Back in the late 80's/early 90's I used to attend every Bugorama in Sacramento.  The last time I went was a few years ago (maybe 5 or 6 years ago)....

This past Friday afternoon I was waiting for my appointment at the Apple store to get my phone repaired when a crazy idea developed within the soft gray matter contained in my skull.... I thought that if I left that evening I could make it to S.Oregon late Friday night and be in Sac shortly after the gates open on Saturday afternoon.  Ah, but this is just crazy ideas - no one in their right mind would jump in their 77 Bus, point it south, attend one of the largest VW events on the west coast and then return in time for work on Tuesday. 

Who said I was in my right mind?

Now - how do I introduce this great idea to my wonderful and understanding wife?  She was reviewing all of scheduled parties, events, birthday parties that were on the calendar for the weekend when I told her that all of those things are going to get in the way of my planned road trip.  I was told that I could take a road trip as long as I was back by 3pm Saturday. I mentioned there was no possible way I could drive to Sacramento and back by 3pm Saturday.  Huh?  Where are you going and when did you think you were going to leave?  Umm... Sacramento and if you don't mind in the next hour or so - I have a bunch of miles to cover tonight.

By 8pm, I was heading south on I-5 with a pile of sunflower seeds, ample amounts of caffeine, a questionable playlist on the phone, and 600 miles of pavement ahead.  Found out that my buddy Lance from SOVW and another friend from Napa were going to be at Bugorama.  Fun times are ahead!

First stop was for gas in Woodburn and a longer than expected shopping trip at Walmart.  Once on the road - I averaged 65 mph all the way to Grants Pass for the second fuel stop.  17.2 miles per gallon so far - lots of hills sucking down the gas.  Pulled into the Rogue River rest stop for the legally allowed 4 hour pit stop at about 2am.  Around 6am I was back in the saddle and headed over the Siskiyou Pass and into California.  Made the required breakfast stop at the Black Bear Diner in Shasta City and then bombed down into Red Bluff for the next fuel stop - 17.5 miles per gallon.  Ok - seeing a pattern here...

Pulled into Rancho Cordova around 2pm.  I made arrangements to stop by a buddies house for a cold drink and allow Lance to catch up.  He made a trip down 101 through Willits and was about 3 hours behind me despite leaving Grants Pass a couple hours before I left Portland.  That's alright - he had the nicer drive for sure!

Arrived at the track around 5pm.  Now for the sticker shock.....

$20 for camping
$30 for show

$50 total to get through the gate!

Now it is Saturday afternoon and the track is doing qualification runs for all classes.  The swap meet is in full swing with swap spots extending down the first row for about a quarter mile... by Sunday there will be three rows extending almost the same distance.

If you are looking for parts - the Bugorama swap is the place to go.  However - all of the parts are either made of unobtainium, gold (covered in patina), or are so rare that you don't even know that you need it - and are priced accordingly.  Good thing I spent all my money on gas, entry fee, and alcohol.

Camping at Bugorama is a lot like camping at the Bug Run - just more people and it stays noisy later into the night.  They did have a brief thunderstorm that dumped a bunch of rain on the track - this was a good thing because it is DUSTY there.

I figured that since I had driven so far that I'd enter my bus into the show.  The show is now participant judged (they used to have actual judges).  Kind of odd separation of classes though... they had all of the standard air-cooled classes that we have at the Bug Run except they split it between stock and custom.  They gave out awards for 1st through 3rd in each class for both stock and custom.  The water-cooled classes were similar to Bug Run as well - except no custom classes.

I didn't place, but then again I didn't expect to.  Lots of really nice late buses at the show.  Some I wondered if they really belonged in "stock" class, but that was up to the participant to decide which class they belonged in.   I was the ONLY Riviera in the show - I don't think most people knew the difference between a Westy and a Riviera.

The racing was pretty good although the track isn't in the best shape and you could tell that some of the drivers really had to fight the conditions.  Wolfgang ran a 7.41, but broke their dragster before the finals.  The Vee Dub Mulisha guys out of Washington did well - I think they won their class.

Rolled out of the show Sunday afternoon around 4pm and headed up I-5 again.  By the time I reached Weed - I needed gas and had the munchies.  I was also tired of fighting the big rigs, wind, and speeding SUVs.  Made the call at that point to venture off I-5 and head up 97 towards Klamath Falls.  Slept at a quiet rest stop just south of K-Falls until about 6am and then continued on my way. 

Since I was in the area and had lived in Oregon for 15 years without visiting it - I made a detour thought Crater Lake National Park.  It was still early.  The traffic was very light and I went around the west side of the lake (which is about one third of the way around the lake).  Took Hwy 138 back to 97 and ultimately found myself on 58 towards Eugene.

The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful.... saw a few people returning from Burning Man and even more returning from the dunes.  Overall - covered about 1250 miles and averaged about 18.5 miles per gallon.  I did manage 21 mpg on one stretch.

It was a fun weekend - absolutely exhausted from the trip.  Worth it?  Yeah.  I ran into tons of old friends, made some new ones, and may have convinced a few more racers to make the trip to Woodburn next year.  

Re: Bugorama 72 trip
Reply #1
This is good and all... But where was my invite?
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #2
Where was MY invite?  Weren't you camping the whole week? :)

Reply #3
I was! I could have called it early for that  :headbang:
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #4
Cool story write up the man!
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #5
Few more details I missed....

On the way back I passed the Vee Dub Mulisha guys from Washington.  They had a really good day of racing and were scooting out of town with a fist full of cali-dollars.

I was passed by a huge truck pulling a squareback, beetle, and bus on their trailer.  Nice score!

At Crater Lake I chatted with a couple from Kansas that had rented a Euro-westy in Portland and were road tripping.

On Hwy 58 - a guy in an older Vanagon had broke down with a busted alternator belt.  I had the right size one for me... but nothing for him..  I discovered at that point that I did a really crappy job of packing tools.  I hardly had any sockets, a few of the right wrenches, but I must have had FIVE 14mm wrenches on board.... not sure what I was thinking with that one.