Skip to main content

Topic: 6v to 12v relay and flasher? (Read 4979 times) previous topic - next topic

6v to 12v relay and flasher?
So on our 64vw bus we put a 12v battery in it . Changed all the lights and but can't seem to get the turn signal sto light up? And the flasher is not making any clicking noise at all , It still has 6v flasher and relay in it , could that be the problem? When I do turn the turn signal on I get a loud hi pitch noise from a little round speaker under the speedo not sure if that was original or someone added it ? Headlights are working fine just the turn signals

Re: 6v to 12v relay and flasher?
Reply #1
Hello 64bus, You stated that you changed all the lights. Did you switch the dash lights? EVERY SINGLE LIGHT BULB must be switched, including dash/speedo/oil/gas/all indicator lights to 12 volt bulbs. Also all of the fuses must be switched to a 12 volt rating. 6 volt fuses are way to big for a 12 volt system. The flasher must be switched to 12 volts. The voltage regulator has to be switched. Why are you switching to 12 volts, when 6's are unique in there own way? The wiring for a 6 volt system is thicker than a 12 volt system, so that's not a problem. The wipers are going to be supersonic and probably fall apart unless you swap the wiper motor. Hazard light switch has to be replaced. I hope this helps you, I would like more info on what your trying to do..

Reply #2
Yes we did change out the regulator  to 12v http://www.rosecityvolksters.com/smf/index.php/topic,2989.30.html just figured 12v system would be easier the motor we put in already has a 12v generator and starter on it and did change out the little bulbs in dash to 12v too. I will change out the flasher to 12v and you said also the emergency switch need to be a 12v switch? Do I need to replace the relay to 12v also Thanks Chris

Reply #3
The earlier emergency switch was a simple on/off circuit. All switching and flashing was done "inside" the relay. "The little black box". The newer ones all the switching was done inside the emergency flasher switch and left only the "flashing" to the relay. Get yourself a 4 prong flasher relay and a emergency flasher switch. This should work for you, but before you pull your emergency flasher switch, try installing the 12 volt flasher relay first.

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #4
For the odd little things you can buy a step down from 12V to 6v.
I had to do this on my '54 Bel Air for the gas gauge.
It was just about $20 for the single circuit voltage step.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #5
I bought a $4.00 two prong flasher to replace old 6v round one and seemed to fix the prob . Now All lights work , the hazards work turn signals and all weeeeeeeeeee.... :driving:

Reply #6
Great job... Road ready...? :clap:

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #7

I bought a $4.00 two prong flasher to replace old 6v round one and seemed to fix the prob . Now All lights work , the hazards work turn signals and all weeeeeeeeeee.... :driving:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #8
... Now All lights work , the hazards work turn signals and all weeeeeeeeeee....

Wow!  That is great.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #9
Hmmm....
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #10
I would like to to add a double filament bulb and a extra wire so that when you turned the headlights on you would have running lights in the yellow signal lens also , shouldn't be to hard to do that

Reply #11
Don't just dump all those 6v bulbs , starter, gen , reg , ect...
Some of us purists still need those obselete parts.