Skip to main content

Topic: Trip to Yakama for Volksfest this Saturday and Sunday (Read 1675 times) previous topic - next topic

Trip to Yakama for Volksfest this Saturday and Sunday

I am planning on going to Volksfest this year any other people planning on going?

http://avva.us/Volksfest.html.   
1961 bug
1963 15 window bus
1965 bug
1966 bug
1967 21 window bus
1969 Manx clone
1978 bug

Re: Trip to Yakama for Volksfest this Saturday and Sunday
Reply #1
Yup.  Not sure what we are driving yet.   :dontknow:
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #2
Me neither.  The bug should be back on the road tonight. I spun the splines out of the passenger brake drum.  I will take it on a test drive tonight, if it still has problems I will go with the Ghia
1961 bug
1963 15 window bus
1965 bug
1966 bug
1967 21 window bus
1969 Manx clone
1978 bug

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #3
Yes!  I will be driving the bus there with my son, Owen. 

I'm planning on doing Dubs & Donuts and then leaving from there. :headbang:

Reply #4
How was the event? How many cars? Any particularly-interesting ones? How many swap meet vendors?

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #5
Paul - Volksfest is a pretty laid back show.  You're not going to see big numbers there.  That being said....  The swap meet is kind of scattered all over the place, but there were probably 30 or more swappers.  The car show was probably no more than 50.

I enjoyed the weekend.  The club (Apple Valley VW Association) had activities planned beginning around 4pm on Saturday.  We arrived at the park just in time to immediately head out on the Poker Run.  The Poker Run basically took you on a trip through Yakima to their major show sponsors and ended at the Renegade Raceway - brilliant move on their part as it got more people to the track to watch racing that night. 

We stuck around the track until about 8:30 than night.  They had a few Pro-Mod VWs racing, including one that ran a 9.67 @ 141mph off the trailer.  The racing was a mix between VWs (who got their own lanes) and the more traditional NHRA type racing.  It was neat to watch in the evening with the track lights on.  The remote location of the track pretty much eliminates the need for noise ordinances (like PIR and Woodburn have).

We headed back to the park (in Moxee) and met up with some people I know from the Seattle area.  It was a late night of socializing (and a few too many adult beverages).  Great group of people!

The park started to wake around 6:30am.  The swappers began setting up and by 7am the registration booth was open for show cars.

For those that like orderly lines/layout - Volksfest could be a bit frustrating.  The swap meet is basically spread out across the city park.  There are no lines or spaces - 10 bucks gets you as much space as you want.  The show cars are organized by bus, watercooled, Thing, and then everything else.

As for the bus class - I believe there were 7 -8 buses in the show ---- ALL BAYS.  I'm not sure what the deal is, but split buses aren't showing up to shows anymore. 

They held a raffle drawing about every 30 minutes.  There were some games for the kids.  They had a tug-of-war contest (two person on a team) with the ropes attached to a Baja VW.  The trophies were all hand made.

Overall - neat little show that I'd probably go to again.