Skip to main content

Topic: throw out bearing and pressure plate match up ? (Read 1648 times) previous topic - next topic

throw out bearing and pressure plate match up ?
So I got this from an engine I pulled . But I am thinking this throw out bearing is old style not sure . and if it is shouldn't the pressure plate have a centering ring on it ?

Re: throw out bearing and pressure plate match up ?
Reply #1
Hey, 1973 and later pressure plates have free fingers, the earlier ones had the ring in question. The old throwout bearings are a basically a carbon ring, that actually slips on the pressure plate ring. If your rebuilding a motor, it is advisable to replace them both and get it out of the way. Nothing worse than tuning your motor and then finding out you got to pull it again because of a clutch problem..
  • Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:48:32 PM by JEFFREYPRICE65

Re: throw out bearing and pressure plate match up ?
Reply #2
I agree with JeffreyPrice. 

You do have late model VW clutch parts.  An early setup would have a ring on the clutch fingers and a matching ring surface on the throw-out bearing.  Keep in mind that the late model transmission has a "tube" surounding the input shaft upon which that throw-out bear rides, keeping it centered on the pressure plate fingers.  If you don't have that tube around the input shaft you need the ring on the pressure plate and a throw-out bearing with the same. Your clutch will not work correctly if the items don't match.
  • Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:21:53 PM by TotallyVW
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit