Skip to main content

Topic: Static timing ? (Read 1848 times) previous topic - next topic

Static timing ?
Heres a pic of my pulley it has three notches ? It's a AE153252 motor case single port. Which notch on the Pulley do I line up to Center crack of the Case? Thanks

Re: Static timing ?
Reply #1

Usually 3 notches from the factory on the pulley are for 0º or TDC, 7.5º BTDC and 10º BTDC.
1961 bug
1963 15 window bus
1965 bug
1966 bug
1967 21 window bus
1969 Manx clone
1978 bug

Reply #2

Usually 3 notches from the factory on the pulley are for 0º or TDC, 7.5º BTDC and 10º BTDC.

Thanks . Do you know if I should set this type in for 7.5 BTDC or ?

• nickdesantis
  • [*][*][*]
  • Type lll

Reply #3
That pully looks so familiar.....  My first VeeWee was a 1970 type1.  And yes I started driving it in the '70s..... I looked up your engine code on thesamba and it looks like a 1970 type1.  I think (you should confirm) that TDC is the left most mark.  I static timed mine - no issue, it had the vacume advance.  However, I have been reciently ed-u-micated and now know to watch out for those 009 mechanical advanced units.  They work cool, but are just a little different and someone else can better coach you on timing it if that is what is on your engine. 

Keep rockin on that bus guys!  It is Ben! :2up:
"I drive, therefor I am."
                              - Unknown Gearhead

• nickdesantis
  • [*][*][*]
  • Type lll

Reply #4
I always did 0 deg
"I drive, therefor I am."
                              - Unknown Gearhead

Reply #5
Yes Dist is mechanical advance the # on it says 0231-173-009  looked it up says set at 10deg ATDC does that sound right for static timing it ?

Reply #6
If you are doing it for the first time on a new-to-you engine, you would be wise to pull the cap on the distributor and locate a line marked on the metal rim. If the nose of the car is 12 o'clock, your mark will usually be around 5 o'clock. Then you pull the valve covers and spark plugs. Place the eraser end of a pencil into the plug hole of number 1 and rotate the crank until the pencil is at it's highest point, AND the mark on your distributor lines up with the rotor. THAT is TDC, and one of your pulley marks should line up. Trust what you just did, because that is accurate, no telling whether the pulley is factory or frm some other model engine. NEVER trust the PO!
Steve

69 Bug - daily driver
75 Riviera - for sale

Reply #7

If you are doing it for the first time on a new-to-you engine, you would be wise to pull the cap on the distributor and locate a line marked on the metal rim. If the nose of the car is 12 o'clock, your mark will usually be around 5 o'clock. Then you pull the valve covers and spark plugs. Place the eraser end of a pencil into the plug hole of number 1 and rotate the crank until the pencil is at it's highest point, AND the mark on your distributor lines up with the rotor. THAT is TDC, and one of your pulley marks should line up. Trust what you just did, because that is accurate, no telling whether the pulley is factory or frm some other model engine. NEVER trust the PO!

Yea thanks, I did this and it's at TDC at the far left mark . So with the mechanical Dist ( JF4 0231-173-009 ) I need to make a new mark left of this to have it read 10deg ATDC  to set static timing ? I am guessing the other two marks are for if I had a vacum advance dist?
  • Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:22:30 PM by 64bus

Reply #8

Yea thanks, I did this and it's at TDC at the far left mark . So with the mechanical Dist ( JF4 0231-173-009 ) I need to make a new mark left of this to have it read 10deg ATDC  to set static timing ? I am guessing the other two marks are for if I had a vacum advance dist?

I misread the Dist It's a 178 not 173 so It says 7.5 BTDC Static timing