Skip to main content

Topic: 64 Vw Deluxe Bus Project my 15 old son And I. (Read 13535 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 64 Vw Deluxe Bus Project my 15 old son And I.
Reply #30

Got a Key made on Samba to fit our ignition and door locks  for $20.00  . We should have gotten two of them but wanted to make sure it fit ok. Just gave the guy the code on ignition and he had it done in a day. Heres his link if anyone needs keys or needs to find there key code . http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5910088&highlight=#5910088

A closer alternative is:
East Portland Locksmith
(503) 232-4363
840 Se Powell Blvd

I've had them make keys from locks without keys for Karmann Ghia, Citroen SM, Jensen Interceptor, Vespa, etc. Very reasonable prices -- less than $20. For my 1954 Vespa, they even still had an original,  Vespa-logo key blank.

Reply #31
So we changed out the old Regulator with a 12v one we had from a bug . Also drained the reduction gear boxes on rear axle and the Transfer filled them up with fresh SAE 80-90 gear oil I got lucky Napa had a 17mm Allen for $4.00 on close out. We also bought some 12v headlights #1604 Sylvanias  for the buckets . Do you guys know if I can just use like #1157 sylvanias for the tailights ? Also not sure what bulbs for the little dash bulbs can I use like 74 vw 12v bulbs will they fit ?

Reply #32
yeah it should be the same dash bulbs as a 74, and yeah 1157 bulbs works for the rears,
always looking, always picking

1955 oval semaphore
1956 oval hardtop
1957 oval hardtop
1957 oval ragtop
1961 bug
1963 bug
1959 ghia
1963 11 window bus
1964 11 window bus
1966 riveria camper bus
1965 notchback

Reply #33

yeah it should be the same dash bulbs as a 74, and yeah 1157 bulbs works for the rears,

Reply #34
Great looking project there. 

On the subject of clearing your  12v flywheel inside the transaxle, it doesn't look like you went too wild which is good.  However the best way to accomplish this is to push the motor into the transaxle until the teeth of the flywheel touch. The flywheel is a harder metal than the bellhousing. Using a large wrench, turn the motor until it's not grinding away metal from the bellhousing. Push it in a bit more. It should be close to being able to put nuts on the bolts coming through.  Essentially once you have the nuts started, tighten them a half turn. Then turn the motor over until it's not grinding.  Rinse and repeat until the motor is fully tightened down via the normal engine bolts going through the transaxle bellhousing.

The advantage to this is you take out exactly what you need. The bellhousing area is already somewhat thin so you want to remove the least possible amount of material.  Using a grinder and eyeballing it will always result in removing more than needed.

Once finished, remove the motor and clean out the shavings.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #35
Or you could just use a flywheel and slide it on the output shaft. Mark with a pen where it hits, and remove a little material. Repeat till the flywheel goes on all the way. Much easier than installing and removing the motor...
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #36

Or you could just use a flywheel and slide it on the output shaft. Mark with a pen where it hits, and remove a little material. Repeat till the flywheel goes on all the way. Much easier than installing and removing the motor...

agree

1955 oval semaphore
1956 oval hardtop
1957 oval hardtop
1957 oval ragtop
1961 bug
1963 bug
1959 ghia
1963 11 window bus
1964 11 window bus
1966 riveria camper bus
1965 notchback

Reply #37
So we drilled out the Rust welded phillips head screws in all the doors and retapped to 5/16" thread Because standard size allen nutz at ace are only .40 each and I think the allen head should be a better deal than phillips. Also put new pressure plate on they had an old style TOB with a pressure plate with no collar which wont work well as I was told . And put engine in tested it then spotted a leak on top of case by doghouse so dropped motor pulled doghouse and oil cooler has 3nutz the single nut wasn't even finger tight but pulled of oil cooler just to look at seals they looked fine tightened it back up and doesn't seem to leak . Also the main seal seemed to leak so put a new one on and new flywheel seal. Now working on the electrical should prob just replace that little fuse panel not sure .

• Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:43:15 PM by 64bus

Reply #38
Some more pics of doing a little body work . I know nothing about body work just watched some youtube videos on it. Tryed to fill most of the dents up with Duraglass http://www.levineautoparts.com/duraglass.html because it's waterproof unlike bondo then used smoother filler on top of it. And bought a hvlp at walmart $65.00 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-Hausfeld-34-Piece-Spray-Gun-Kit/12534872 you can get a cheaper gun at Harbor freight but this kit includes the air gauges also .

Reply #39
pics

Reply #40
So anyway sprayed the doors with Epoxy primer and now going to spray Imron Dupont sandable primer on top of that . So the doors will be sealed up and we will be able to sand them down with 600 grit we used Aircraft  http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=82&prodid=136  stripper to remove the paint
  • Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:31:01 AM by 64bus

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #41
Looks good!

That aircraft stripper works like a champ.
I used that stuff on a decklid last year and in no time it ate the paint right off.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #42
Nice bus, looks like a fun project
eZuVor--Go Forward
When did that happen?

Reply #43
if you need repair metal for the bottom of the cargo doors i have a set sitting around i could sell, have no use for them

1955 oval semaphore
1956 oval hardtop
1957 oval hardtop
1957 oval ragtop
1961 bug
1963 bug
1959 ghia
1963 11 window bus
1964 11 window bus
1966 riveria camper bus
1965 notchback

Reply #44
Ah, well we bought a used Left side barn door but the right side barn door is pretty much totally rusted .So hope we can find a cheap door somewhere. But thanks for letting us know