Skip to main content

Topic: RyanB's other caddy (Read 2440 times) previous topic - next topic

RyanB's other caddy
Yep, as the topic describes. I have a second Caddy.

Originally, I traded for it. Had an extra quad and traded for this Caddy. Well, a super deal came along and I picked up Jbjetta's red diesel Jetta. This Caddy got shoved into the back forty and sat for a bit.  Well, sadly after only having the Jetta for a few months my wife was rear ended, badly.  Thankfully, there was a ton I could salvage from the Jetta and now this truck is getting a new life.  Once this is done it will be my new daily driver and the current Caddy will go up for sale.

So, what to do? well. I have a very nice running Jetta with serious rear end damage.  You pull the motor, the dash and the wiring harness!  See, when I received the Truck it had a badly hacked together harness. It really was in bad shape. Relays were haning all over and odd crap the previous owner had done was just wired haphazardly. So, I very carefully labeled everything on the MK2 harness with the exception of the rear (rear lights) and then removed it from the car along with the motor.

Once I had that removed I also had to pull the motor from the Truck and start cleaning it up.  Now, the motor from the Jetta has a power steering pump. So I decided to go find a power steering rack and install that. Let me tell you, that is QUITE the job!

I have also installed new shocks in the struts. I thought I read somewhere that you did not need to compress the springs for this job. Boy was that incorrect!

I have purchased a molded black carpet, from JC Whitney on the suggestion from Gerald at DIP. I was hoping the TMI kits were molded but sadly not the case.

Here she sits, before I got to work on her.

Here is the donor...

Here you can see part of the wiring mess when I got the truck.

Old Motor and wiring mess.

Most of the old wiring removed, notice that previous owner did a decent install of a MK2 dash.

Motor out of the truck. Notice gaping hole above the master cyl? Yea, got to fix that...

Working on the shocks/struts

Had to weld in a motor mount. This engine came out of a MK2... Cleaning up area and makign indent in the bracket. I didnt want to mess with the engine belt/timing to remove this braket as it is part that holds the injection pump.

Mount is welded in! tight space to weld!

OK. Making progress!  The Mk2 Axles are in. Took a TON of grinding to get them to fit. The hold in the area above the master cyl is fixed and the power steering is installed.

Old Carpet removed. More wiring cleanup and you cant see it but I have connected the power steering rack to the steering wheel.

The Mk2 wiring harness.. Oh joy.

RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Re: RyanB's other caddy
Reply #1
So, here it sits for now.  wiring harness is partially in. Trying to clean it up.

I am actively looking for a Cabriolet 4 light setup grill and all if anyone has one...

RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #2
Looks like a good job so far.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #3
Well, I had hoped I would be able to try to drive the truck this past weekend.  I drug my feet on Saturday with al lthe rain. I still got a ton of work done on Sat/Sun though.  Hit a major snag in the fact that out of all the little parts and pieces moving from the car to the truck, I cannot find either set of clips that hold the clutch cable to the throw-out arm.  And, because I cant put that on I cant put the starter on...

So, need to find that part.  I have the engine in, the engine bay wiring is done (for the motor, not lights). All underneath stuff is done. IE the Axles connected, Exhaust.  Shift linkage connected and adjusted.

Next to do List:
1) Finish power steering hose routing
2) Find Clutch keeper parts and hook up
3) install Starter
4) Finish interior wiring.
5) install new carpet kit
6) Determine how to use Mk2 seats in Mk1.

Beginning of the wiring on Saturday...

By Sunday, Wiring was mostly under control. Crazy washed out image though.

And Engine bay is basically done! All the components from the Mk2 are transferred over.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #4
Now that the hard stuff is done... Want to trade it for a Corvair?! LOL!  :flamethrower:
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #5
Hahahaha.

NO.

At least not THIS one.  Maybe the other truck.  :D
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #6
Well I got a ton of work done this past weekend. I could have driven it but I decided to get started on the carpet. Not an easy task! I did not get a picture of it, I should do that soon but I cleaned up and then put down a rubber coating inside the rain tray area. I think it's been leaking into the cab but no obvious area. Just a general location where it is leaking. I was very generous on how much  coating I put in there so hopefully I got the leak! Ha ha!

I got the starter in, clutch cable connected.  Bled the cooling system.  Also finished running the hoses for the power steering and had to epoxy the tank as it had a small hole in it.

Now, I am not sure as I haven't seen this done before but when I went to put the 50amp fuse from the Jetta back on I broke it. I found one of those re-settable 50 amp fuse boxes that will reset after a short time. I wired that in, then hopped in the truck. two tries and the engine fired right up. Hence why I decided to keep this motor. For a 1.6 NA engine, it runs extremely well and always starts right up and no smoke. I know I know, it's a diesel. But I hate having huge smoke plumes behind me. Anyhow, running great!

I also started working on the tail lights.  They are basically done.  I found out that the replacement light sockets are slightly too large so I am going to have to dremel the holes in the housing.

I also picked up a 4 light grill from a Cabriolet.  It doesn't just bolt right on sadly. Going to take some extra work.

Things to do:
1) Finish installing carpet. What a PITA!
2) Stereo wiring.
3) Front marker/turn signal wiring.
4) Mount/wiring headlights and Grill
5) Finish tail lights
6) Seats!

Interior wiring is basically done. Starting to come together!

Carpet is in and basic fitting is done.  Now comes the rest of the cutting of holes and trying to get it to finish conforming to the area's...

RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #7
Looking good that man! I can't wait to go for a spin! haha
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)