Skip to main content

Topic: Dorf's 59 vert (Read 2481 times) previous topic - next topic

• dorf
  • [*][*]
  • Type l

Dorf's 59 vert
Ok, Thought I'd start a build page as I have many questions.

A little back ground... I bought this bug and DROVE it home. Made a rotisserie and welded on new rails.
And there it sat for, oh... a couple of decades. You know life, wife and kids.

Anyway, there was a lot of nothing going on for a long time. Mid life crisis has me wanting this thing on the road!
Plan is to airbag it but we'll get to that in a bit.

Here are a couple of pics and the start of my questions to follow.

-dorf

• dorf
  • [*][*]
  • Type l

Re: Dorf's 59 vert
Reply #1
So, first question. Looking at my transaxle. It is an earlier one that looks like it will NOT fit in my 73-74 pan.
Here is a picture of the nose cone.
The next picture is of the pan mounting area.

• dorf
  • [*][*]
  • Type l

Reply #2
This is the 'standard' front mount for a 73-74 transmission.

Do I need to change the nose cone to something like the second picture?
-would that even bolt up and work?

• dorf
  • [*][*]
  • Type l

Reply #3
Second question...

Since the pan was a 73-74 and I want to run the original low backs I needed to remove the tall front 'humps' for the standard seats. Now onto welding in the replacement low back seat rails.... HELP, where to put them. I need the distance from the front tunnel where is meets the corner of the front foot well area to the vertical part of the replacement seat rail.

See photo.

• dorf
  • [*][*]
  • Type l

Reply #4
Maybe this can be my third question... Any other headaches I have not thought of fitting a 73-74 pan under a 59 body? When I bought the bug it was on a pretty crappy 69 pan. So I went out and craigslist-ed this 73-74 pan thinking it would work... without doing too much homework.

I have put a lot of time POR15 -ing this pan and making it look ok, but if I should start over with a different year I would rather know now.

• BuginU2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #5
Just so we are clear - you are installing an IRS transmission onto that 73-74 pan, right?

There is a guy on the samba that put an early body on a late pan:  http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=207023

Looks like he needed to address the rear body mounts. 

Of course - you are talking about bagging it, so different rules apply I'd guess.

Reply #6
That's a pretty big project. You should just keep it IRS as it will work a little nicer with the airbags (no wicked camber issues). I am sure the semi-purists out there will put up a good swing axle argument but the ride will be slightly better with the IRS. Also, get the 73-74 trans so that you can have the 3:88 final drive that will provide an improved freeway driving experience. I don't know much about the rear mount issue that Duane noted but I have heard of it.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

• dorf
  • [*][*]
  • Type l

Reply #7
Today took off bump stops and lower rear shock mounts. This in prep of mocking up rear suspension for air bags. Flipping arms from one side to the other to figure out if degrees gained is worth it. Entertaining the thought of raising the rear bearing housing.

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #8
Cool project, Yo!
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.