Skip to main content

Topic: 68 VW Fastback Project (Read 24925 times) previous topic - next topic

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Re: 68 VW Fastback Project
Reply #30
That looks dang skippy the man!
Oh and from what I have read the bug belts are shorter than the type 3 belts.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #31

Thats bare metal.   I was concerned about leaving it that way but the shop has temp and humidity controls.  They said they have had projects in bare metal for over six months with no rusting issues.

I will ask today who does thier work.

sand blasted metal cant be left that way at all  no matter what. its really bad for it
64 factory sunroof notch
64 push button notch
69 squareback
66 mustang
57 oval ragtop http://s37.photobucket.com/user/kabbageboi/library/57%20oval
97 lifted ford f250 diesel
98 legacy
2013 civic hybrid (wife's car)

Reply #32
Issac, I am no expert for sure and I agree with you. That is why I was concerned. Rust finds a way.

Reply #33

Thats bare metal.   I was concerned about leaving it that way but the shop has temp and humidity controls.  They said they have had projects in bare metal for over six months with no rusting issues.

I will ask today who does thier work.

I would be very concerned. If they feel it's ok to leave bare metal like that for anything longer then it take to get the sand cleaned out and epoxy primed they have waited too long.  even handling the car with bear skinned hands will leave oils on the metal and will cause issue later.  and unless there shop has huge dehumidifiers it will rust no matter what they say.   IMO and anyone else's for that matter will say they are being lazy and cheating you quality work

Reply #34
I have seen their finished products and they are very impressive and they have a good reputation. 

I think part of the reason for their method is they prefer to do some of the metal work prior to primer.  They will prep the metal to make sure the surface is rust free and clean before putting any primer on it.  I just think it creates more work. 

Reply #35
It's easier to do it that way but when the metal is open like that it acts like a sponge you won't see issues quick but later on there will be issues that's why we have cars dipped not they coat it when there done if you pay really close attention to bare blasted metal after sitting a day in protected its crazy how much it changes
64 factory sunroof notch
64 push button notch
69 squareback
66 mustang
98 legacy

Reply #36

I have seen their finished products and they are very impressive and they have a good reputation. 

I think part of the reason for their method is they prefer to do some of the metal work prior to primer.  They will prep the metal to make sure the surface is rust free and clean before putting any primer on it.  I just think it creates more work.

Last post regarding this cause I don't want to blow your thread up about the same thing

I AM TELLING YOU they are doing it WRONG!!!! "Don't take my yelling to be directed  to you" Any place that doesn't epoxy immediately after is in the wrong. Period, point blank end of statement!!!    ALWAY epoxy after and then begin your metal work.  Yes it's a bit more work to remove the epoxy where they plan to weld. Oh well that's the right way. 

That said I'm sure they might clean the surfaces after the are done and before primer but they are skipping one of the more important steps!!   PROTECTION.  PROTECTION. PROTECTION.  =. Long lasting quality finishes that won't bubble from deep down for a very long time.

Call my good friend Tim his cars have been in many mags and even front covers.  Many of his cars has gone across Barrett Jackson's stage. 

http://www.401restos.com/Pages/default.aspx

Reply #37
On a lighter note car is looking good :)
64 factory sunroof notch
64 push button notch
69 squareback
66 mustang
98 legacy

Reply #38
Heck yeah it is!!

Reply #39

Here is a picture of the finished product compared to the not refurbished one.  Big difference but paint is not the way to go.  Of course my impatience to let the paint fully cure doesn't help but you really need to plate these if your going to do it right.  I have other parts like the hood and deck latches I think I will get plated so if I do I think I will do the same with these and other misc parts.

So in the end all my time spent was for educational purposes only.  But I like tearing things apart to figure out how they work and putting them back together.

Sorry if this was boring thread.  But after all the time spent I really needed to vent.

If anyone ever has any questions or needs help on your seatbelt retractors give me a shout.

Many years back I picked up a set of early 3-point belts which don't use an auto retractor and were a pain in the buttocks to use.  So I did what you did and ripped apart my factory '67 retractors and modified the 3-points to work in it.  Made them so much better to use.

Nice work and thanks for sharing.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #40
Thanks for the input. 

I really struggled finding a place to paint the car.  I even asked for a suggestion from this site.  And I did have some concerns about this shops methodology.   But everyone who had work done by them is very happy.  And honsetly the rest of the shops I looked at that are willing and capable of this type of project I had other concerns about.

If someone has a suggestion of someone better, willing, and available I am open minded.  But right now I am pretty deep in it with these guys.

Reply #41
On a secondary note.

The current plan is to have them fix the pans.  The estimate was reasonable.  They are good sheet metal guys and I have faith they would do a good job.

I orginally was going to do this myself with the help of someone who can weld.  Jay Butz offered to help but I really did not want to bother him.  He has his own stuff to work on.

I am having second thoughts on having them do it because I really want to do as much as I can myself to restore the car.  If I can find someone willing to help me that can weld I would reconsider.

Reply #42

On a secondary note.

The current plan is to have them fix the pans.  The estimate was reasonable.  They are good sheet metal guys and I have faith they would do a good job.

I orginally was going to do this myself with the help of someone who can weld.  Jay Butz offered to help but I really did not want to bother him.  He has his own stuff to work on.

I am having second thoughts on having them do it because I really want to do as much as I can myself to restore the car.  If I can find someone willing to help me that can weld I would reconsider.

How much for pans to be done? And I work at a restoration shop the hardest cars to work on are cars the customers have been working on it throws everything off on the restoration. So I would just say have them do them for you if there the ones doing the rest of the work. Or just pull the body off and give them the body to finish and you finish the pan your self  but be sure to blow the media out of every little crevasse my dad rusted out his 62 rag but not cleaning it out well enough
64 factory sunroof notch
64 push button notch
69 squareback
66 mustang
98 legacy

Reply #43
Issac, I sent you a PM with more detail.

I do understand what you are talking about on the customer creating more work.  I have been working with them on what I can do to help (disassembly) and what would not help.  One thing I really like about them is they have been willing to come up with a plan that fits my needs.  They know I want to work on the car and I don't want it to disappear for 6 months.  So the plan is to pull the body off and return the chassis to me so I can focus on that while they finish the body.

The repairing of the pans was something I was going to do but they quoted me a price to repair them that I thought was fair.  And I know they could do it faster and better than me.

Reply #44
I went to see the car today to make a decision on the floor pans.  Decided to go ahead a replace both sides since the body is coming off anyways.  The drivers side really is not bad and could be patched.  The passenger side is really bad in the back and also has some rust holes in the front section.  I am going to go ahead and have them do it since the cost is very reasonable and it will get the car on the road a lot quicker.

I was pleasantly surprised that they had started the body work.  They have a lot of cars in the shop and I expected mine to sit awhile.

The plan is they will get the pans replaced in the next few weeks and then they will return the chassis to me so I can start work on the mechanicals while they finish the body and paint.