Skip to main content

Topic: 68 VW Fastback Project (Read 24925 times) previous topic - next topic

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Re: 68 VW Fastback Project
Reply #15
You are making me want to work on my square an awful lot.
And yes chroming is not cheap any way uiu look at it for a good quality finish.  I don't even have a set if bumpers to have refinished....
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #16
Restoring a type 3 is definately not for the sane.  Or anyone trying to make money.

I am seriously looking at the SS bumpers that are from Vietnam.  I am on the Samba thread and getting some good feedback.  It would be a lot cheaper and I think maybe a better way to go anyway.

If I do that I will have a set of bumpers for sale. LOL.

I did buy a set of over riders from ISP.  The were much cheaper than what Oregon Plating wanted to redo mine.  They look good.  Not show quality but that is not what I was going for.  I want to drive this car!!!

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #17
Your bumpers would be cool......but my car uses the late model style.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #18
Here is a picture after media blast.  Paint and rust all gone.  Now the reconstruction begins.

Reply #19
Nice.  Who did the Media blasting for you?  And how much?

Reply #20
I am having Crossroad Customs do the body and paint. They took it to media blast as part of the project. I never asked who they had do it but it was in Gresham I think. I have a meeting tomorrow with them to discuss next steps so I will ask. I know they have used the company for most of their restorations.  They use walnut shells primarily.  From what I have seen so far it looked like good job.  And they did the entire body inside and out.

Reply #21
Thanks.  Might be looking to get my 55 done.  So if your happy with it if you could find out that would be good.  Did the epoxy primer it immediately after? Or is that still bare metal?

Reply #22
Thats bare metal.   I was concerned about leaving it that way but the shop has temp and humidity controls.  They said they have had projects in bare metal for over six months with no rusting issues.

I will ask today who does thier work.

Reply #23
LooseNuts,  They used J&M Sandblasting in Troutdale.  They have multiple medias they use.  They used walnut shells on the outside surfaces and sand on the chassis.

I wanted all the rust gone and that is what I got.  So I am happy.  Not so happy that rust was hiding under the paint job, LOL!

As far as cost, mine included transportation and profit so it would be better to just get a quote from them.  It will depend on how much you have done.  They charge by the hour.

When I shopped around prior to the project I was getting numbers in the $800 to $1000 for what I was asking to be done.

Reply #24
Decided to refurbish the seat belts this weekend.  Mine are not type 3.  They are type 1.  Not sure exactly what the difference is but I believe the retractor itself is the same but the belts are a little different.  I have seen some pictures of the type 3.

The retractors were working well but they looked bad.  So I was really just trying to make them pretty.  I decided to try painting them.

So I took one of them apart.  Under the bigger of the plastic covers is the catch mechanism.  Very interesting on how it works.  It has two functions.  First it will lock if you pull quickly because the centrifugal force forces the gears to engage.  Second it locks if it is not straight up and down because a lever engages the gear.  Not going into anymore detail.  If you ever take one apart you figure it out pretty quickly.  Here is a picture of the mechanism.

Reply #25
Under the smaller plastic cover is the spring that retracts the belt.  So when I opened it up it was like one of those practical joke cans that things come flying out.  It took me a long time to figure out how it goes back in so don't do what I did.  Before you remove this cover you want to pull the seatbelt out of the extractor until it is all the way out.  Then clamp it so it won't retract.  Then carefully remove the cover and the spring will remain in place.  And you can see how it fits in.  I would not recommend messing with this side of the retractor unless you really need to.

Here is what it looks like with the spring out.

Reply #26
Next I removed the seatbelt from the retractor.  You push the end out far enough to remove a pin that is pushed in the end of the belt.  And then you can pull it through the center spline.

Here is a picture with the belt out and the pin out of the belt.

Reply #27
The center spline is held in by a C-clip that was under the plastic plate that holds the spring.  Remove that and the whole mechanism comes out.

So I cleaned and painted all the parts and the seat belts.  Here is a picture of all the parts prior to assembly.  Note I have the spring held together with a clamp.

Reply #28
This picture shows the spring in a clamp.  It is a RPITA to get in so you need a lot of patience.

Reply #29
Here is a picture of the finished product compared to the not refurbished one.  Big difference but paint is not the way to go.  Of course my impatience to let the paint fully cure doesn't help but you really need to plate these if your going to do it right.  I have other parts like the hood and deck latches I think I will get plated so if I do I think I will do the same with these and other misc parts.

So in the end all my time spent was for educational purposes only.  But I like tearing things apart to figure out how they work and putting them back together.

Sorry if this was boring thread.  But after all the time spent I really needed to vent.

If anyone ever has any questions or needs help on your seatbelt retractors give me a shout.