Skip to main content

Topic: 68 VW Fastback Project (Read 24896 times) previous topic - next topic

68 VW Fastback Project
Bought this car on January 1st and I planning on restoring to a really nice driver.  The car has not been running for almost a year.  The previous owner had burned up the engine.  They had a mechanic take the engine out and tear it down to see what needed to be done.  They decided it was more than they wanted to spend and decided to sell the car.  So the project begins.

Re: 68 VW Fastback Project
Reply #1
looks like you need my uncle to build you a roof rack lol :rotflmao:
64 factory sunroof notch
64 push button notch
69 squareback
66 mustang
57 oval ragtop http://s37.photobucket.com/user/kabbageboi/library/57%20oval
97 lifted ford f250 diesel
98 legacy
2013 civic hybrid (wife's car)

Reply #2
A quick update on the project.  I am about 95% done with the dismantling.  I am still not 100% sure about who I am going to have do the body and paint.  I have one shop in mind but they are a high-end and I am struggling on whether I want to go that way.  I do want the paint job to be very nice and last a long time.  Here is a picture of it's current state.

Reply #3
I have started working on the rust issues which are on the inside of the car.  Leaky windows in the Northwest spell disaster.  The passenger rear pan section will need replacing and the back deck has some pretty serious rust hiding under a fiberglass patch job.  Here is some before and after pictures.  I removed the fiberglass patches and mechanically removed as much rust as I could.  Then I treated it with Ospho.  I have heard good and bad things about it but I thought I would give it a try since this is a non critical area.

Reply #4
I meant to send this before picture and then these after pictures.  I was going to patch the areas with fiberglass but I might have the body and paint guys do it right.

Reply #5
Here is the latest on the project.  The car is off to the body and paint guys.  Should have been media blasted this last week.  I should be meeting with them this week to go over the plans.  I will get pictures when I am there.

So I began refurbishing all the bits and pieces.

I started with the gauges.

Checked the speedo using a drill.  Works fine.  I did not want to take it apart and clean it unless it wasn't working.

Checked the fuel gauge and it works.  Needed to solder a wire that was coming loose.

Checked the clock.  Did not work (big surprise, lol).  Opened it up and saw the fuse was blown (of course).  Tried to manually wind it but it did not work.  Cleaned it with Isopropyl Alcohol and still no go.  Used WD40 and started to work.  I have read the WD40 is a big no no.  Supposed to use clock oil.  Anyone have any issues with WD40?  I have seen it used on Samba.  Also tried to solder using what was left on the contacts to no avail.  So I just used regular solder.  It works like a charm.  It rewinds every minute. Anyone know where you can easily get the right solder?

Reply #6
After the gauges were checked out I tidied them up.  I painted the rings.  Shined up the chrome.  And I polished the plastic faces using Mother plastic polish.  I was not overly impressed with the stuff.  It did make them look better but did little to remove any scratches.  I thought about using a 3 part system that looks like it would do a better job.  But there are internal cracks and chips on the edges so no matter how much work I put into them they won't be perfect. 

Anybody find a polishing method and product that was really good?

They look pretty nice to me.

Reply #7
I worked on the fresh air vents.  Both of mine had paint on them from the Maaco paint job.  And one had the screen section missing.

Reply #8
I removed the paint and cleaned them up.  I cut a small piece of metal screen and epoxied it in.  And then painted them with semi-gloss black.  Turned out pretty good.  They will function and that is good for me.

Reply #9
Also worked on the wipers.  I checked them according to instructions on Samba and they did not work.  So I removed the motor and tested it and still no go.  So I opened up the motor and did not see anything obvious wrong.  I did continuity tests and everything checked out except I couldn't figure out why I could not make a complete circuit using the brown wire for ground.  Then through some more research I realized that the motor itself was grounded.  so I cleaned it all up and put it back together and tested it again and it works just fine.  All you need to do to test it outside of the car is connect hot to the black wire and ground to the starter body.  That gives you slow speed.  Then connect black/yellow to hot and ground to the body and you get fast speed.  Then I cleaned and painted the armature and put it back together and it all works great.

Before and after.

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #10
Very nice!
Keep it up.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #11
Thanks Catbox.  I will need all the support I can get.

I just took the bumpers to Oregon Plating.  It will cost more to fix them than I paid for the car, LOL!!!  Can you hear the sobbing???

Reply #12
Damn fine work.  Those bits are looking excellent.  Thanks for sharing.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #13
Thanks totally VW!  It is nice to know someone reads these.

I really enjoy going through some of the threads.  I learn a lot and get inspired.

Reply #14
Just saw the car after media blast.  Unfortunately there was some hidden rust.  Not super surprised but was hoping I would get lucky.  The passenger fender is going to need repair.  Looking for a replacement fender if I can find a good one.

Does anyone have a good 68 type 3 passenger fender for sale???