Skip to main content

Topic: RyanB's Caddy (Read 10457 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RyanB's Caddy
Reply #45
The Bentley should have a spec showing allowed crack size between valves. The diesels will normally have cracks between the valves and that is A OK. However... I don't think they allow for grand canyons. I think it is like 1mm or less. It has been awhile since I had to look it up.

I asked on FB before and don't know if you ever responded. Did it start overheating after you changed out the thermostat? The water cooled cars can get a water pocket in the radiator and under the water pump if not filled correctly. I believe the proper way to fill the cooling system is to first unhook the top hose as the head and fill up the radiator. Connect it back to the head and unhook from radiator and fill it up that way. Hook hose up again and put rest into reservoir. Then leave off reservoir cap and start it and wait for the thermostat to open (usually the water will start flowing into reservoir). Then top off if needed.
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #46
I haven't updated this thread yet.   I have a second caddy and from it's pile o parts I found a good usable 1.5 head.  Slapped that on and have her running and driving now.  I had to also flush the system with CLR to clean it out as it was still overheating after putting the replacement head on.  Since the flush, things seem back to normal!
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #47
So the other day I was on the way home from work, and I noticed that the ass end of the truck would occasionally sway a bit. I have an hour drive home and it alarmed me but I figured i'd reduce speed and get home and figure it out. Well, by the time I got home even doing only 45mph I would get some violent swaying.

Pulled the rear tires off last night and I lost a bearing in the passenger rear hub. Got it all apart. Some minor scoring to the spindle but not enough to be alarmed. The outside small bearing had lost all rollers. The inner one was in surprisingly good shape though.

Managed to get the races out and new bearing/races and packed em. All back together now.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #48
Did you check out/repack the other side too?  (theory is they are the same age)
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #49
I did pop the cap n the other side. Made a slight change (tighter) as it had a tiny amount of play.  I had actually already replaced the 'good' side anyhow. heh.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #50
Well, with summer comes all the 'summer' projects. So i've hardly worked on the truck. Thankfully it's been basically trouble free.  I did lose a CV boot on the drivers side so I bought the whole assembly thinking I didnt want to screw around with the CV joint.

Yea, well I should have just bought the boot and repacked the original based on my thinking.  When trying to put it in I hit the new cv on something and of course ALL the damn balls fell out.  I spent HOURS trying to get the damn thing back together.  I read that dang Rabbit manual I don't know HOW many times.  Every time the CV would be 'locked up' when I put it back together. I was seriously getting angry.  I finally found a good Youtube video where the guy shows putting the balls in one at a time and that finally did it.  Now that I see how to do it, it's very easy.  But dang was I frustrated trying to do it the way the service manual said ...   Axle is back in and no more loud whining!
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict