Skip to main content

Topic: RyanB's Caddy (Read 9318 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RyanB's Caddy
Reply #15
I Had Lunch Today With You At Wendy's. Didn't Know It Was You Until I Saw Your Cabby In The Parking Lot parked Next To My Big As$ Ford.    I Was The Guy In The Construction Vest.

Nice Cabby 

Edit:

Loved The Look On Your Face When I Waved To You As I Left.  Like Who The FuK Is That Jackass

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
  • Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:15:35 PM by LooseNuts

Reply #16
HAHAHA!  OK I get it!  Exactly! Was thinking oh crap, this guy knows me and I haven't a clue who he is!

Thanks for the kudo's.  I am hoping by next summer to have the bodywork done and it painted. Right now mechanical issues to work on and that dang injection pump.  I am starting a teardown of one of my extra pumps today.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #17
OK!  Well, I went ahead and purchased that video from the guy on youtube/ebay.  My only complaint is that it is SD video, and I suppose he didnt have access to a good encoder or editing software. At times the video is grainy.   However, I must say that with that video in hand, I was way more confident tearing into this thing. I was with you on being very hesitant at all Joshua. I would certainly be even more nervous if I only had one pump.  But, as I mentioned above I was much more conifent about doing it with the movie.  He also provides a PDF on a disk that has information on making the special tools you need and other things.  I think it was a well spent $30.

no, this was not intended to be an advertisement for him.. lol
But, you can purchase the DVD here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=321253209882

OK so, I have that out of the way. I was doing a bunch of research on rebuilding these things and one of the main links went to a page that was not found any longer. I brought this up with the webmaster and she put the link back up with a re-written script or something. So if you go to the old page it will now auto direct you to the new location.
http://gnarlodious.com/Vanagon/Bosch_Pump/-Rebuild.html

I am in the process of getting a complete rebuild kit with the feedpump, front seal and the seal kit from a guy on ebay. Just waiting for him to reply.  I'll provide a link and my thoughts on it once I receive it.

So, on to how far I have got.  I watched the DVD all the way through to get a feel for the entire process. An added bonus on the DVD is at the end he explains/shows how to rebuild the injectors.  I took my wifes laptop out to the garage (SHH! Dont TELL!). popped the DVD into the drive and away I went. I mimicked everything he did. Had to stop/pause the DVD at times so I could create the needed tools or I wanted to go slower then he was at times. I didnt have a bin to put the parts into diesel fuel as he mentions but I'll get to that this weekend.  Not alof of pics, pretty much a beginning, middle & end of the tear down.  sorry for the horrid lighting...

The teardown begins!

Partway through!

O M G ! It's all apart! What do I do now!?  :D:
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #18

I was with you on being very hesitant at all Joshua.

Super Swampers... You my friend--got 'em  :rocker:
  • Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:54:39 AM by jbjetta
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #19
The following is a collection of posts I made on another forum over the past few days. So they run into each other here. But, if you dont mind the wall O text, you can enjoy my pain .......

I started off the long weekend with pulling the truck into the garage and pulling it all apart as mentioned last Wed. I was in high spirits. I enjoy working on cars. I graduated from High school so many years ago with honors in automotive. I took 6th in the state of California in the AAA troubleshooting contest. I feel I am highly competent in working on stuff. I take my time, I do allot of research. I probably read 30+ threads here about injection pumps and not starting. All before I even turned a wrench this past wed.

But yep, you probably guessed it. I cant get it to start.

What have I done you ask? I cleaned up and replaced the intermediate shaft seal and O ring. I cleaned up the crank seal cover, replaced the seal and gasket. All in the name of killing the oil leak. I've removed the injection pump. Carefully went through and replaced all the seals. Took my time, put it back together. New Timing belt installed...

I began by filling the injection pump with diesel.

I've checked the timing on this thing 5 times. The 1st time I set the timing to 9mm. Cranked and cranked. Re-checked timing, verified it was at 9mm again. Cranked and cranked. Decided ok, maybe 9mm isn't what I should set it at. It was at 10mm when I removed it. Set it to 10mm. Cranked and cranked.

Pulled all the glow plugs out and checked each one individually. All worked.

Re-checked timing. Still at 10mm. To be sure I don't have a fuel issue I setup a small clear tub with a fuel line so I can gravity feed the injection pump. Cranked and cranked.

I cracked the lines at the back of the pump. Getting good fuel squirts. Cracked the lines at the top of the injectors, good fuel quirts. I pulled the small return lines off, I get a good amount of fuel dribbling out of one side of each injector.

Checked the timing again. Yep, still 10mm. Everything is dead on.

I tried brief squirts of ether with no glow plugs, it will act like it's going to start and stall.

I ran a power cord directly from the battery to the cut off solenoid. I can hear it activate. I know it's working because I get fuel to the injectors. I've run a large cable directly from the battery to the glow plug copper bar while trying to start it.

I am at a loss. So frustrated. I've tried every little trick I've been able to find on this forum. On a side note, I am making sure to check timing with the cold start pushed in. I have tried to start with with the cold start both in and out. I was able to start it without the cold start before I did all this work.

In desperation, I even set the cam to the same location it was when I originally checked timing and it was off before I started this mess. Still no joy.

So... I mentioned how I work slow and methodical? Yea, so this time I guess that is what bit me in the butt. See, wen I originally took this thing apart I mentioned how the cam was not exactly aligned up? Yea, well I also noticed the injection pump didn't have a mark that I was expecting... You probably know where this is going now don't you? I decided to put my own mark on the IP Sprocket. I then put it all back together using the mark I made.

And of course, it was 180 out.

I still have no idea how the thing ran the way it was setup. Unless I am mis understanding something. When I took it apart I made sure #1 cam lobes were 'up' so I don't see how I could have made that mistake.

Anyhow, I kid you not, 10 seconds of cranking once I fixed that and she started right up. I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or cry considering how long I spun my wheels all weekend working on it. Seriously, they should have made the hole that is 180 out for the lock pin a different size or something. heh.

So, I got that done late last night. The truck will not idle. I am thinking I have the throttle shaft off a notch or possibly two? If I hold the throttle at almost half throttle it picks up and sounds great. But when I let go it shudders, bucks and generally wants to die. I'll re-adjust that today and see if it makes a difference.

I cant tell if this IP had been apart before. And when I was removing the internals the video didn't mention keeping an eye on the orientation of the cam plate until it was time to put it all together. It is entirely possible the internals of the IP were 180 off and thus I had to make my own mark. When I put it back together I did it correctly and thus my cause for wanting to shoot the thing all weekend. 

Anyhow, I stayed home today to work on the truck. I did move the throttle a notch. But then once the truck got up and running it sounded like it was going to race into blowing up. Scratching my head I put it back. Afterwards I started it up and well, it's back to normal. No idea why it wouldn't idle last night.

Since it was running 'normally' I noticed I was getting allot of white smoke at all revs. Then it hit me, I did the timing this last time with the dang cold start pulled out this time. UHG! Back out comes the tools. Was only at .7mm. This time I went back to the full 10mm it was originally set to.

Drove her around the block a few times. Still got occasional white smoke but it's was getting less and less the more I drove it. Real test will be to drive it to work on Wed. I did notice though a faint amount of blue smoke at idle. Not something I noticed before I did all the work to the truck. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Next up, I need to chase the electrical issue with the gauge cluster again. And replace the front windshield. After that it's the dash swap.

OK... Sadly, I was not able to drive the truck to work this morning. Was 24 degree's out and I didn't plug the truck in. It would act like it's going to start but then stall as sono as I let go of the key.  I know my glow plugs are good as I pulled each one of them and tested them while checking issue with getting it started before. I did notice though before that the glow plug relay cuts off at about 8 seconds. the light goes out at 7 seconds. When it is super cold like this, maybe I should try to start the truck before the glow light goes out? I am a bit concerned as if I go some place and the temperature stays below freezing and I am there a few hours the truck will be dead cold and will I be able ot get it started?  Is there something else I need to adjust?  I tried to start it with and without the cold start. One of my attempts with the cold start pulled out it was really struggling to turn over almost like pre ignition.

Anyhow, here are some pics from this past weekend.

This is "Organized chaos". I actually have two pumps apart here. I decided to go ahead and rebuild the original one anyhow as it was leaking so badly. Thus why my workbench looks so cluttered.

About a third of the way put back together.

All the internals are back in Except for the head.

Pump head is back on. This was the most difficult part getting everything lined up.

Governor and throttle linkage back in.

Hey look it's back together!

Quite dirty!

Oil leak over time made a real mess.

Ahh yes. this looks much better. All cleaned up in this area and new seals, o-ring and gasket.

Ready for the injection pump!

Injection pump back in it's home!

For this last image, I've been talking with Briano1234 on my gauges and warning lights. I had previously run the (green) ground wire. I took my time and ohmd out from lead two to the various ground points.  I then also ohmd out lead 14 to the various 12 volt locations and put the red wire on.  So far so good. Everything has come on each try. Though I haven't driven it allot yet.

RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #20
I would consider replacing the glow plugs anyways. They might get hot, but not hot enough. I would replace them with the quick glow plugs that take only a few seconds vs the 8 second ones. You have to replace the relay for the quick glow plugs as well. I didn't try starting up the red one this morning. In your honor I will attempt to start it tomorrow morning. I don't have a block heater to plug mine into ha ha. The black one started no problem  :2up:

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #21
No go ha ha! Darn :2down: My starter bendix is getting weak though. Turns over a time or two and then the bendix kicks off of the flywheel and free spins. I know my glow plugs are tired and need the quick glow plugs myself.
  • Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:02:25 AM by jbjetta

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #22
Well, I am picking up new glow plugs today.  Sunday I'll be doing the change out. I am also switching to using a ford starter relay near the battery and individual wires to each glow plug with their own fuses.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #23
Ouch! I just called DIP and quoted the glow plugs and relay. With the Volkster discount the glow plugs are $12 each and relay is $20. So about $68 ha ha. They should last for a few years though.

Are all of those ideas coming from that diesel forum? I don't know that I myself would go through all of that if fresh glow plugs and starter do the trick for me. What is the forum that you are looking at? Sounds like they have a lot of neat tips and tricks.

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #24
HEY You stay away from my glow plugs man! Hahaha.

http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/forumdisplay.php/46-1975-1984-VW-Rabbit-General-Forum

There is the other forum I frequent.  Most of the info I do research on seems to come from VWVORTEX though.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #25
LOL! Wanna race?!  :slam:

I was just pricing them out so I know if I can fit them in the budget this month. Turtle did start while still under freezing conditions yesterday... Just not in the teens ha ha.

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #26
Ok, onward with what I got done today.  In Sub freezing temps, she fired right up! Essentially, I used a standard Ford Starter solenoid. I moved the wire that originally went to the glow plugs to the 12v start input on the solenoid.  Heavy wire from the battery to one terminal and the other terminal goes out to 4 wires that goes to four individual fuses. Then each glow plug has it's own wire.

Eventually, when it isn't so dang cold. I am going to remove the original big fuse as I don't need it anymore. This will help to unclutter the engine bay with a few less wires.

Here is what I started with. 4 new glow plugs, yellow wire, Fuse block, some connectors and the solenoid.

Here, I have attached the fuse block to the solenoid. Filled it with 15 amp fuses. Too high? I've also run the wires from the terminal to each fuse.

It's all installed. Individual wires run to each glow plug. The solenoid bolted down to the transmission mount where the ground bolts to. Wire run to the battery to the solenoid.  In the original picture, I had some connectors. I didn't end up using them. The loop ends were too large so I had to get smaller ones. And the female spade connectors were too small for the gauge of wire I was running. This picture is side ways, but you can see it in it's new home...
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #27
Very tidy Ryan. Will the gravel bother anything? :huh:
Steve

69 Bug - daily driver
75 Riviera - for sale

Reply #28

Very tidy Ryan. Will the gravel bother anything? :huh:

Hhaha! Crazy huh? It's really not that close to the ground...

This morning it was really hard to start. However I know I have a wimpy battery. I did plug it in this morning for about 45 minutes before I tried to start it. The real test will be when I leave to go home this evening and it sat all day. No outlet for me to plug in the warmer here at work. Thankfully we are going to back the 40's by the end of the week..  ;)

I do think I either did something slightly different or something off a bit when I put her back together. I think I am getting more haze when spinning the motor up. But, it seems to be running well so far. Hour drive into work and ran like a charm as it always did.

Looks like I may still have a gremlin to find. I noticed this morning that occasionally, not always.. but when I would hit the left blinker my glow plug light would flash for just a moment with each blink from the blinker.  Odd!

I have the hall effect speed sensor they talk about on VWVORTEX on the way. Hoping it will be here by Friday. It was $25. Supposedly with this I can hook up the RPM gauge. I'll have to make my own mount. I'll toss up some pics if I get it working.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #29

I'll toss up some pics if I get it working.

Please do, sounds interesting.
Steve

69 Bug - daily driver
75 Riviera - for sale