Skip to main content

Topic: The Catbox files... (Read 133489 times) previous topic - next topic

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

The Catbox files...
Reply #15
Yes Cat, I have the e-brake kind, and it looks goofy, but they work just fine!
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

The Catbox files...
Reply #16
Quote from: "johnygolf"
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STOP RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Before yopu go one step further,or spend one more cent on parts. Let A PRO look at it. Brakes are what I do EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!! There usually isn't a problem with a master driving a larger cylinder....Disc brakes only move about 1/32nd of an inch between fully released and fully clamping........Please let me take a look at it before any more money is spent, you're all probably missing something?????I'm available this Sunday, let me know Catbox.......Rob...

isnt the body shop thing at your house on sunday???????????

i probably wont be driving the car to it as it doesnt have  any inshurance yet.  the parts that i am getting now are for the front end to fix the goofy caster that lowering it caused.

but you can have a go at it any time you want to.  its been to hot fro me to want to do anything outside in the "Oven" latley.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

The Catbox files...
Reply #17
Quote from: "RyanB"
...Also, if you have a Super towbar... I could tow the car to my house and be able to work on it after I get home from work....

I do have a Super Tow Bar, just none of the mounts for the car. I made them out of angle iron for the Raffle Bug originally so it shouldn't be too hard to do again.  Just don't have a ton of time this month.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

The Catbox files...
Reply #18
Sorry about the mixup for this sunday. I'm off next week on wednesday, and sunday. If one of those work let me know.....Rob......

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

The Catbox files...
Reply #19
Quote from: "johnygolf"
Sorry about the mixup for this sunday. I'm off next week on wednesday, and sunday. If one of those work let me know.....Rob......

no problemo boss man.  i will let ya know, i dont know what the wweek looks like at work so wed could work but sunday might work better.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

The Catbox files...
Reply #20
Quote from: "TotallyVW"
Quote from: "RyanB"
...Also, if you have a Super towbar... I could tow the car to my house and be able to work on it after I get home from work....

I do have a Super Tow Bar, just none of the mounts for the car. I made them out of angle iron for the Raffle Bug originally so it shouldn't be too hard to do again.  Just don't have a ton of time this month.

i thank you for the offer Ryan but i want to fix this problem myself with help from others.  it would be cheating on my part to have somebody else do all the work

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

The Catbox files...
Reply #21
Quote from: "Kev"
Yes Cat, I have the e-brake kind, and it looks goofy, but they work just fine!

hey the man can you take a picture of one of the calipers on the car so i may have a reference.  i looked at the car yesterday and the brake line is on top and the bleeder is in the middle and the e-brake lever is in on the bottom. 

so i imagine every thing is supposed to go the other way.  Presidente is coming to the rescue on tuesday night so i might be able to drive the car to the drive in on saturday!

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

The Catbox files...
Reply #22
I'll get a pic tomorrow
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

The Catbox files...
Reply #23
Catbox, look at the picture of my rear disks in the gallery, it shows the car in the air with the wheel off, and the caliper upside down!

[/img]

Sorry about the blurriness...

Anyway, this one is wrong!  the bleeder needs to be on top, the brake cable attachment does not matter too much...

The Catbox files...
Reply #24
So, does Wednesday work for you. Or, would next sunday be better??????

The Catbox files...
Reply #25
This is done. I stopped by CB's house on the way home from work tonight and swapped sides with the calipers, putting the bleeder to the top. The parking brake cable comes out from the top of the caliper now as well (strange). Bled them out and they work! Thanks for the pictures and the help everyone. He has a wicked tire rub to attend to but other than that it is a runner (and a stopper).
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

The Catbox files...
Reply #26
all i hear now are evil laughs inside my head. :twisted:

it runs, it drives, it stops.

as long as i can get a couple little things taken care of with the car, i will be at the drive in with it.

#1 quick alingment

#2 rear seat belts installed

#3 the afformentioned wicked tire rub.  maybe a tire change will take care of this.  it has 185/60/15s now and i have a set of shorter but wider 195/50/15s in the garage.

thanks Mark!

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

The Catbox files...
Reply #27
Quote from: "Kev"
Catbox, look at the picture of my rear disks in the gallery, it shows the car in the air with the wheel off, and the caliper upside down!

Anyway, this one is wrong!  the bleeder needs to be on top, the brake cable attachment does not matter too much...

yup thats the ticket.  that would a good lesson to have known about the night we did all the work to it. but thats ok as now its done and more of us will know the ins and outs of rear disk brakes.

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

The Catbox files...
Reply #28
Congrats, glad I could help!

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

The Catbox files...
Reply #29
well i drove it down to the drive in and back with out much excitement.  only when i was coming home i got up that monster hill at 50 in third and then cruised into sherwood at 65 only to stop at a light and see a nicely hot motor smoking a good one.  oh well time to invest in some oil i guess.  that went away and it just kept on going. 

i put the new seatbelts into the back yesterday and then put the kids car seats into it and then took donielle to her bowling night.  it felt kinda like a clown car. 

its going to take some getting used to with the tiny carb and all, i'm so used to having four barrels instead of just the one.  i just need to start saving my money again and decide what carbs i want to spend the money on, Dellortos or kadrons?  used or new?  two barrels or four barrels?  the guty that sells dells on e-bay sells them at a good price and they will go alright on a *cough* larger motor down the road.  but on the other hand AJ simms sells a kit to make your kads bigger to fit the *cough* larger motors.  that would make for a bit of a sleeper with just having some little "looking" kads on a giant motor.

anyway we had a great time at the drive in and its time to make the donuts.