Skip to main content

Topic: The Drag Bug (Read 4268 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Drag Bug
Reply #15
The lifters for 1 and 2 were number two.  The cam has a small chip in it but I don't recall if it was there the whole time.  It's not in a location that would affect anything.  The crank and flywheel went over to Steve's Machine and his first comment was "can I just polish it?" That's good to hear as it really did not show any signs of damage.  And the 12 years of use were limited to weekend driving.  But I replaced the rod bearings every year and the crank bearings every two.  It sucked throwing out perfectly good bearings but that's what you do in this particular hobby.  That's a good thing.  I ordered up some Chromolly head studs and giant barrell spacers to support going from the 5.5" rods and jumping up to 5.6".  I think I will send my heads up to Mike Howe and have him go through them.  I did buy new valve springs as mine are really old.  I also bought a valve spring measuring thing so I can try my hand at setting up the valve train better.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

• 57OvalRagTop
  • [*][*]
  • Type l

Reply #16
Good to see you back in the saddle again. Wish you much luck and success with the new motor!
See you at the next Event.

Ty

57 "Oval Project"
66 "1750cc w/Nos"
67 "1750cc"
66 "Cruiser"
65 "Cruiser"
(X-DKK Member 1977-1979)

Reply #17
Assembling the engine now. Got the case put together with the longer connecting rods. I am using CB Performance .184" barrel shims plus an extra .040" shim to get my compression ratio back to where it was with the shorter rods.

The cylinder heads look fine but when I pull out the valves from the blown #1 cylinder I discovered that the 180lbs seat pressure was hiding a couple of wickedly bent valves. Fortunately my Comp Eliminators are still 100% CB Performance and I was able to order the replacement valves. Mike Howe has them right now and he is reporting that the valve seats are perfect and lapping the valves will be all that is necessary. Whew! Dodged a bullet there.

I still have the valve geometry to hammer out after I get the heads back but I am trying to get it buttoned up by next weekend.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit