Skip to main content

Topic: The Drag Bug (Read 4447 times) previous topic - next topic

The Drag Bug
It has been so long since I worked on my Dragster (3+ years).  Figured I should put up a build thread for all the work needed.

After sitting for a spell behind my shop there were many things awaiting my attention:  Trans rebuild, Engine rebuild and various upgrades.

I sent the heads up to NW Connecting Rod in Kent, WA.  There was quite a bit of mixed reviews for thier work but I had a $100 gift certificate that I had won at a Cruise For The Cure event so I figured I should get my moneys worth.  The gift certificate was honored (which was nice since I think I had it for 3 years) and it helped bring a very large repair down.  The Transmission was rebuilt at Strictly Speed in Bremerton, WA.  They have done all my tranny work for many seasons now and I have always been pleased with thier work.

I was taking a look at one of our new sponsors and saw that they offered an alternator bracket for dragsters that don't use conventional cooling tin.  So I ordered it from Deluxe Iron.  Picked up the Denso alternator from Amazon.com and got it wired up.  I have a power pulley on my crank now but I think I need a standard sized pulley to spin the alternator the necessary rpm's.  Will report on that later (after I put on a new pulley).

After Josh (and Steve) helped me move the car from behind my shop to the front my son came over and installed all the powertrain for me.  I spent much of the weekend finishing up the install and finally was able to put power to it and give it a crank.  Fired on the first try.  Quite happy about that.

I upgraded the seatbelts and seat cushion as well as put a fresh coat of black vinyl paint on the toneau cover.  Below is a picture of how it was a few years ago when I parked it and we will find out on Saturday of it performs just as well.  It won't be better as I really didn't change anything.

Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Re: The Drag Bug
Reply #1
About time the man.
I bet you will get a major rush on the first pass and want more and more.
The burnt rubber and race gas never really leaves us.

Now to get the turbo bus functioning in its capacity.
With those two you would be studly as you pulled in to the gates like in the old days.
Vw bus pulling the dedicated race car.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #2
I like your thinking CB.

Here's a shot of the alternator I installed.

I was talking to another member with a Type3 and thought that this small alternator might be a valid option as an upgrade. The DDB had designed a kit that put a Geo Metro alternator on the Type3 and this unit is just a small. Something to ponder. I did pick up a stock diameter pulley for the car as my power pulley was not spinning the unit fast enough.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #3
Sweeet!  I've not had the chance to see this car much. so if you could maybe post a schedule of when/where you are racing that would be awesome!
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #4
Mark, where did you get the pully on the alternator?
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

Reply #5
The pulley came on the alternator but it looks like a standard size and probably could be manupilated with any number of domestic styled pulleys.

Volkswagen races: April 27, May 25, June 1, July 20, September 8, October 6
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #6
CB Performance Type3 alternator kit uses the same Denso 3-wire alternator I put in my race car....
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2183

The Deluxe Iron bracket kit I used on the car worked well.  With the stock pulley 12 volts was maintained and the belt never came off (even with my 7,500rpm shift points).
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #7
How did it run this last weekend for the first time out in 3 years?
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #8
Well, the clutched slipped like it was made of Vaseline and I only had front brakes.  This wouldn't be an issue for a normal car but I don't have much in the way of front tires.  So I used engine compression for the primary braking and took the last exit off the track.  I also had to change out the main jets.  Then it ran fine, just wouldn't launch or stop too well. 

All in all, it was good to be back in the car.   :driving:
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #9
Are all those dates at the woodburn track?
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #10
Affirmative.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #11
So after spending the summer collecting replacement parts to rebuild the engine I thought I would share some shots of what we are starting with...

You can't really tell but that rod has a small bend to it. And for those of you that know how big a 94mm piston is then please note that neither of those holes are big enough for one to fit through, at least in one piece.  I where did the wrist pin go? This piston let loose when I was shifting from second to third at 8,000 RPM.  I heard the "bang" clearly with my helmet on.

I plan to re-use the crank, cam, lifters and flywheel.  I checked the heads with my scope and they don't really show any damage aside from some nicks and scuffs I will have them checked over closely.  I have the engine out of the car now and will start disassembly this weekend.  There is a machine shop downtown that said they can check the crank and balance the rotating mass for me. 
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #12
Quite the carnage there!  Hope it comes back together quickly for you!
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #13
Dang man! I didn't hear about this. Bummer  :2down: It looks like your brakes and clutch were trying to tell you something  :cheers:

I hope it all comes back together nicely! It you need any muscle or things tightened down ... You know who to call  :wink:
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #14
is that hole for cooling  :haha:
1961 bug
1963 15 window bus
1965 bug
1966 bug
1967 21 window bus
1969 Manx clone