Skip to main content

Topic: RyanB's Buggy (Read 12404 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RyanB's Buggy
Reply #60
Pictures were fixed some time ago.  I've actually been pretty busy on this since last fall.

I've added a front bumper and a Winch.

Here is what I came up with. I am using a HF 5k lb winch. Also a HF Winch mount channel.  I got a piece of scrap 3/8's " thick sheet that was large enough to weld the bottom two tubes from a double-tube bumper setup. I then drilled holes for the beam bolts and got longer bolts. Ran the beam bolts through then welded the channel to the top of the bottom tubes. I also welded a piece of metal between the top of the channel and the large plate. Then I welded all along the bottom of the channel to the tubes. The upper tubes I welded flat plates to and setup for Ubolts to the beam.  I am considering additional tubing from the upper beams to the channel as well. 

Tell me what ya think.

RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #61
I have also mostly fabricated the roll cage.

Front lower mount. This will also go through the body to an exterior tree bar.

Front cage is tacked up.

Side view. I'll also have a mount from the cage to the window that is removable. This will strengthen the window from bouncing around. Kind of a common problem on buggy's. It's not pictured as I haven't worked on that yet though.

Tree bar mocked up. I kept it simple. I think it looks decent.

Here you can see the full cage. A few things left to do on the tree bar. It is bolted through the body to the main mounts on the  pan for the roll cage. I think it all ties together nicely.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

• dorf
  • [*][*]
  • Type l

Reply #62
Really cool, great fit on the roll cage behind the windshield!

Reply #63
Fruits of my labor this past weekend.  Passenger side is done, just needs a few things cleaned up then I can paint it. Drivers side is about halfway done.

This bolts through with grade 8 bolts into the interior roll cage. It will give it some rigidity to keep from collapsing backwards in case of a rollover.  Eventually the plan is to go with down bars from the back but I have a month left to finish this and get it down to Cali for my Mom.

RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict