Skip to main content

Topic: RyanB's Buggy (Read 12403 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RyanB's Buggy
Reply #30
Thanks Kev! it's been ALOT of work organizing my garage to handle it.. hehe.

So, no pictures to really bust out from the past weekend.  I didnt get to do any fiberglassing. With how cold it was I had to put a ton of wood into my stove to get it warm enough just to be out there. Too many draft locations in the place right now to keep the heat in well. Sorta have to wait for a day when it is around 40 out and the stove can get it to around 65-70 in there to glass. As it was with it being in the high 20's it maybe got to around 50 in the garage.  Anyhow, nobody but me cares about the heat in my garage... lol

So, one of the things I decided to do was go back to a single carb. I am hoping to do more mudding and dirt stuff and having the sides wide open to get crap flung on the carbs and the filters did not sound like a great idea. So, I found my last "big" carb. Weber center mount. I think it's a 44 IDF.  I rebuilt it with some kits I had left over from my old Dellorto's. And then promptly ran into another body fit problem. There is barely enough room under the rear cowl area to even fit the motor strangely enough. Well, the center carb sticks out enough that I cannot put an air cleaner on it. Gonna have to cut this area out in the center more than it is. Just no other way I can see around this. It isn't that big of a problem. I'll take some pics of it before I do it.  This is also after the 3 1/2 lift the wood is giving it as well...

The other thing I worked on was the rear brakes. I did get the drivers side completed and an old wheel/tire put on. So it's almost a roller. I still need to finish up the passenger side. It looks like whoever got the transmission out of the bus it came from just used a torch. They went right through the spring plates. They also torched off the e-brake cables. Thankfully on the drivers side they didnt get near the backing plate. Not so lucky on the passenger side. Basically welded the cable shielding to the hold it goes through into the brake drum area. I suppose I am just going to have to drill this out. I tried knocking it out with a punch but it isn't budging.

I may not put in a turning brake to begin with on this. Money is already an issue so to save some cash here and there I'll probably put off some things until after the initial build. Still working on getting the wheels, that's going slowly. Need to work out what I am going to due about the fuel tank. I had one and then apparently something fell on it and crushed one side. I may try to pull it out some.  Still working on issues with the front end hardware that bolts in the middle for suspension.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #31
I may have a $40 solution to your wanting to run dual carbs on your engine.
I have a set of CB air cleaner housings that fit the Weber's and Dellorto's completely with an outlet on the top to connect tubing to an air box.

They came with a bunch of stuff I bought from a turbo guy.
He was using them to blow 14 psi through my Delloroto's, so they should be pretty good at keeping crap out of the carbies.

Let me know if you want to try them out as I have to get them back from CorradoJeff.

Or  ~IF~  I end up with some wider fenders that need some attention I could trade them to you for some repair work....
  • Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:56:18 AM by CatBox
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #32
Hey there Peter. I've been trying to get ahold of CorradoJeff!  Please call him and let him know I would like to see those buggy seats on rails he mentioned.

My dual carbs are Kadrons. The single is the Weber/Dellorto style. heh.

I'd be happy to help with your fenders. Maybe you can swing a deal for them seats if I like em for helping with the glass repair?    :evil:     :2up:
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #33
I have an assortment of single weber/dellorto manifolds.  One of them might be shorter than the unit you are working with.  Not exactly sure on how to measure other than from the bottom of the tubes to the base of the carb.  Also, may have to determine if they are dell or Web too.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #34
Thanks Mark! AFAIK, the Dells I had and the Weber I have both used the same manifolds.  I have 3 to choose from right now. 2 that are basically the same height and the last is maybe an inch taller.  Problem being I would need at least another 2 inches most likely to just barely clear the air cleaner.   this may all be a moot point as it's possible once I start flexing everything into place before I glass it all in it may provide more clearance.

Btw, once I can afford it... Hopefully this summer i'd like to get those heads from you. This motor has a TON of thrust movement. Like a half inch of it. not sure how much longer it will last like this so need to put that other motor together this year.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #35
NP.  They aren't going anywhere.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #36
Had a fun Weekend.  Went out to the Volksters Dubs and Doughnuts on Saturday.  Promptly froze my ass off since I didnt wear a thick jacket. Went back home and finished up the passenger side rear brakes. Wheels back on and she is a roller! Woo, glad to hit that milestone. It's not on Jackstands anymore!

I got a turning brake to mock up and see where I can position things. I have a good idea what I want to do. I'll take pics of it when it is done.

Worked on turning up the motor. I had a SVDA dizzy laying around with a pertronix installed. I pulled it from my buggy as it would cut out past around 3k. I am thinking it may be due to the coil I was using back then.  I put that into the buggy, Adjusted the valves, played with the carb a bit and she is running pretty well now. A little surprised in fact. It does seem to load up a bit at idle (black clouds when I blip the throttle) so I'll need to get different jets most likely. But for now I am very happy with how well it seemed to run. I hadnt had it running in 3 years I think.

I also tracked down those pesky bolts to go into the beam. Someone welded in "new" Adjustable torsion. Now, I've never done anything with a beam. Ball joint ot Link pin besides remove it and re-install to a frame head. So, I know little about them. However I had this nagging feeling something just wasnt right when I got this car. My suspicions were found to be true however. It appears they welded in the new adjusters UPSIDE DOWN...  When I free'd the crappy spring/shocks the torsion stack inside of the beam promptly swiveled and forced the bolts downwards.  See below picture I took previously.  THe small block that the bolt goes through would have to have the adjuster nut and it's seat be BELOW it. Not ABOVE it. Am I wrong here?  I dont see how. Again, I am no expert on beams. Also, the bottom adjusters location makes it damn near impossible to adjust it due to being so close to the framehead. In the end, it probably doesnt matter much as I have a different beam lined up and I'll either use this one for a later Sand Rail or sell it off (for dman near free because of the issue)... haha.

RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #37
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: PO that did that mess needs to not work on cars. "sorry if the PO is on here" not really  and i would not call those welds. they look like metal puddles.

not really sure how all that worked  :dontknow: :2down:

Reply #38
For the record I'm not THAT PO  :haha:
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #39
Yes.. he is not that good of a welder.  :haha: :haha:
1961 bug
1963 15 window bus
1965 bug
1966 bug
1967 21 window bus
1969 Manx clone
1978 bug

Reply #40
Hey now...  :flamethrower: Them's fighting words  :slapfight:

I haven't welded since High School. I'm pretty sure I can do better then that still... If I had a welder  :driving:
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #41
Sadly, I didn't get much done this past weekend.  Without the replacement beam and the wheels I was getting I've ground to a halt as I need those on to make sure clearances are good with the body and to bleed the brake system.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #42
Well, I had a fairly productive weekend. I didnt get as far as I would have liked. However progress is progress. I spent hours on the wheels alone.  I picked up a set of wheels earlier in the week. See pic below. They took alot of elbow grease to clean up.  Man I was tired. One of the front wheels sadly is bent. The tire guy put a ton of counterbalance weight on it. I wont know how badly it performs until I have the car on the road.  Also picked up the front beam and installed it. Noticed that it doesnt have a steering dampner mount.  Debating if I need to install one or not.  Now that the wheels are on the car, I can make sure everything is clear and begin the process of glassing the body into the wood. In the 1st pic below you can see what I did with the turning brakes in an attempt to get everything into the small amount fo space and not lose my e-brake handle. I think it worked out well so far. The brake system is bled and all is working!

RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #43
Seems like there is never enough time in a weekend. I didnt really get as far as I wanted to this weekend, but I did get quite a bit done so overall I am happy.  I was able to get all the holes in the body with the exception of the area above the transmission filled in with my resin paste. It is a mixture of Cabosil and Chopped fiberglass. I would say a few more hours of work to finish up the glassing on the inside. Once that is completed I want to add some more wood to the outside so the 'lift' is flush with the side fiberglass. Then I will glass those together as well. Once that is all complete, the body will be unbolted. Right now there are lag bolts going into the wood. These will be removed and glassed over as well to completely encase the wood. Then a new hole drilled through so a bolt will fit normally.

The plan once the body is finished is anytime I need to bolt something to the body I am going to use "Rivnuts". I'll get started on the hood after the body is complete. The hood needs work but it's not in too terribly bad shape.

The "completion" date is set for the most part. I have to have the car drivable by June 22nd. Taking it down to California to give my Grandmother a surprise ride in it to the hills to spread my Grandfathers ashes. He's the one who got me into VW buggies and they spent countless hours together roaming the hills and country in thier buggy. I am quite close now to that. I figure by the end of March it should be 'drivable'. The biggest project left I think will be the roll cage.

Test fit the captains hat area. Created a 2 piece cutout from cardboard and then drew it onto the wood to complete this.

Rear area, again made a cutout from cardboard and used it as a template to stack up some wood.

Here it is before the body goes on, permanently.

The original lips on the glass are cut back. The wood in the back area is bolted down.

Gelcoat and top paint is ground back to glass for a new coat of resin so I can apply new glass. Area's cut out for the bolts in the back.

Gelcoat ground down and new resin applied.

Front left corner is built up with a Fiberglass paste. All the holes in the main body are filled in. I Mixed up Chopped glass, with Cabosil into the resin after adding the MKEP.

Large crack near the battery area is filled in with the Resin paste, along with the corners and the middle crack.

A bit difficult to see, but I have a thick later of fiberglass layer over the wood and inside edge of the body. I have actually complete both the drivers side and passenger.

RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #44
Not a whole lot to post. I only really got to work on the car for a few hours this past weekend.  I got the garage warm enough to do some glass work.  I finished putting the 1st layer of glass on the inside.  I'll be doing one more layer most likely though I put on a pretty heavy layer.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict