Skip to main content

Topic: RyanB's Buggy (Read 11751 times) previous topic - next topic

RyanB's Buggy
Well, what do you do when your other project stalls out and your not sure how to move forward?

YOU START ANOTHER PROJECT RIGHT?    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Nothing super ambitious here. Just a woods buggy is in the plans. I do have a Bus reduction transmission I plan on putting in if I can figure it out. Otherwise all stock to keep it simple and less expensive.

• Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:58:58 PM by RyanB
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Re: RyanB's Buggy
Reply #1
I need to pull the body off and get started on shortening the pan. Probably have the wife get started on sanding the buggy down. Will be a few weeks before I can really get started as we will be on vacation next week.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #2
nice buggy body  :2up:
1961 bug
1963 15 window bus
1965 bug
1966 bug
1967 21 window bus
1969 Manx clone
1978 bug

Reply #3
How much you want for those rear fenders?
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #4
I have a pair of high back padded buggy seats on rails already that you need :)
current cars: 2005 Jetta GLI 1.8t 6-spd stage 2, 1976 Jeep CJ-5

Past cars: 1993 SLC corrado, 1969 std beetle, 1965 beetle, 1984 jetta GLI

Reply #5
Well, certainly tell me more corradojeff....

Coolblue57,  I am sure we can work something out.  PM me.  I think you wanted those seats I have as well?

OK.  So I got down to business and stripped off the body.  Boy, this thing is in interesting shape.  Whoever did the replacement pan on the drivers side was in a hurry.  THe passenger side had random metal "welded" in. I say that because it basically fell out when I started shortening the pan.

I took some measurements of the body. According to what I took, the pan needed to be shortened 15 1/2". An odd amount as a normal Manx is 14 1/4. This probably should have raised some red flags in my head. Ahh well.  I made my cuts and put the 2 half's together and brought in the body. The thing must have sat on uneven surface in the sun for years or something. It's very badly warped. A previous owner also looks to have attempted to VERY poor glass repair and it looks like it was done AFTER the dang thing got warped.  I am basically going to have to cut out all the bad glass work. Force the body into shape on the pan and redo all the glass work.  Uhg.

Couple of very very weird things in the 1st few pictures.  I am missing some set screws or something on the front torsion bars and look at the notch that has been removed from the spring plates...  O M G ....    :shock: :shock:

• Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:01:36 PM by RyanB
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #6
For those wondering... I've been taking advantage of the warm weather and madly working on my boat. Lots of fiberglass and work to do on it and it's outside.  I can work on the buggy during the winter as it's inside. I'll get to it shortly. One thing I didnt think about was the buggy was sitting on saw horses when I measured. After initial tacking of the pan halves together the ass end isn't lining up with the pan. I have a feeling I am going to have to add some metal back into the pan to lengthen it an inch.  Bah!   :lame:
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #7
looking good
1961 bug
1963 15 window bus
1965 bug
1966 bug
1967 21 window bus
1969 Manx clone
1978 bug

Reply #8
Apparently, Facebook broke direct links. I'll see what I can do about fixing the pictures.

Need to get a hold of Carrodojeff about those seats.  Not sitting idle for the winter. I am working on getting a wood stove to heat my garage so I can do glass work over the winter.  Still planning things out.  This body may look good from a distance but has a very large amount of problems.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #9
Updated links to pictures. Hopefully facebook doesn't break them again.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #10
So, Got out to the garage this weekend. after spending time deliberating what to do I got started. I have to take a few pics of the progress.  Below you will find some before pics.  Showing the captains hat area that is badly warped, the rear area is badly warped and the very awful previous repair on the drivers side and the so so repair on the passenger side.  It looks like they tried to repair some large cracks in the rear while it was not on a frame and it was warped when the repair was made. I basically have to remove the bad repairs.  The good thing is that it doesn't look like I am going to have to re-cut and re-weld the pan shortening I did.

RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #11
Couple more pics:

A temporary board put into place to straighten the 'firewall'. On the other side is a piece of angle iron that will get glassed in to keep it straight and then remove the board.

A little hard to see I suppose. I've removed the bad "repairs in the rear corners and also from the cracked areas. Then added bricks to help push it down onto the frame.

RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #12
Boy am I tired.  A full day of welding in awkward positions...

Time to start finishing up the welding on the tunnel. Here it sits before I get started this morning.

A couple of relief cuts done and pounded into place. Welding down the side.

Most of the welding complete down this side.

Pan is flipped over after the sides of the tunnel are welded.

Bottom of the tunnel is welded. 2 additional metal patches welded over the area for more strength.

Pan flipped right side up after bottom of tunnel was finished. Completed welding in the additional metal over the cut area.

What a mess. Dealing with the poorly welded in replacement pan as well as part of being shortened. This is the before shot.

After shot of the drivers side pan welded together. This part alone took hours.

Drivers side pan repair was never completed by whoever did it before.

Finished welding up the drivers side front of the pan. Also did some minor rust repair.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #13
Well it looks like you made the best of it.  That is some clean weld, especially for the thin pan material.  Either you have a really nice welder or are a kick-ass welder yourself.  I'm thinking a little a lot of both.  Well done!
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

• nickdesantis
  • [*][*][*]
  • Type lll

Reply #14
Nice!  Did you weld an aditional piece over the seam on the top of the tunnel?  It looks uber strong.  Like it!  I have to go look at how mine was done now!  I need to pull the body off mine and fix some rust, but maybe some other stuff too.  Please do keep posting pics. :2up:
"I drive, therefor I am."
                              - Unknown Gearhead