Skip to main content

Topic: Revs 71 (Read 82238 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Revs 71
Reply #390
How hard was the rebuild on the 010? I have an 019 I got from Jeremy that needs it.
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #391
easy peasy.   i took a look at the glennring stuff and did it...no problem...though it hasnt run yet
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #392
Cool, I will send mine over...
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #393

Cool, I will send mine over...

i'd do it...at least id do my best... :cheers2:
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #394
So I've got my 1904 installed.

74 X 90.5

Here is my problem:  I am experiencing a severly sluggish turn-over with the starter

Cr. is 8.5 to 1 ... it was tight but spinning by hand ok when out.  There was no indication of bearings being crimped, misalighned or otherwise. 

In the car, I noticed my clutch pedal had a TON of movement in it with this engine.  I have adjusted that up.

Starter was fine before engine went in.  Turned over my stock 1600 motor with no issues or slowing down at all.

I have a new battery with 650 CCA.  Ground straps both are tight and clean.

Any thought on what is going on?
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #395
Motor is bad, I will trade you for an 019 dist. that needs a once over. I would take the deal if I were you. :cheers2:
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #396
Hey, If Youre looking for a bad motor...I have several to choose from.

I figured it out...Im an idjiot.   Pully was binding on the over sized bolts holding the full-flow cover on my oil pump...DOH!

On another note...I am pretty sure one of my rear oil galley plugs is leaking.  Car started right up after I fixed the binding issue and then proceeded to begin bleeding from the front(tranny) side of the motor.  #^$&#*@&!

The plug is the most likely culprit as the rear main is in all the way, lubricated, and brand new...then again.  We'll find out tomorrow.

By the way coolblue...
I was serious about that dizzy.  Id give it a go if your interested.
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #397
I will bring it to the bug run. If I don't connect with you I will leave it with Marky Mark
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #398
Any bright ideas???

This engine leaks bad!  I replaced the pushrods thinking they were the culprit but no change.  There is no cracking in this case that I can tell.  Leak not from oil cooler.

Has anyone experienced leaking around the jugs?  Is that possible?  The oil level is right in the middle of the marks.  There are .09 spacers between case and jugs...no gaskets.  Should I have Rtv'd?

Any thoughts?
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #399
I always use a generous amount of RTV at the base of the barrels since there aren't gaskets.  I had pretty good luck with the black or gray.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #400
Alright, finally digging back in to get some RTV back.   Found some pretty chewed up Pushrod seals...I think that was a major part of my problem.  I plan to replace those and get er all buttoned back up.

I noticed some funky orange marking on the new heads ... vapor from the something?  Any thoughts?  When I break-in I typically add extra zinc in the oil...could that have caused this.

Also, I havent run brand new valves before...does this look like normal, hardly used wear?  Seems like a lot of carbon for break-in but I know the carbs are running a little (LOT)  rich right now

Thanks!
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #401
The orange stuff is strange to me but those valves do show the richness with your carbs. When you install the new pushrod seals be sure to get the white ones and spray them down with carb cleaner before putting them on the tube and applying your RTV. In addition I put a little RTV on the head-side of the washers.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #402
It seems like the Orange is a varnishing effect of the oil/zinc combo. 

I rtv's the spacers, tubes, and pump and buttoned everything back up.  Primed the oil pump and everything is looking copacetic.

Thanks for the advice/info
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #403
its a good day....

1971 Super Beetle

Reply #404
 :2up:
Mark

1967 Convertible