Skip to main content

Topic: Revs 71 (Read 82237 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Revs 71
Reply #105
Maybe even check your valve adjustment for good measure. And firing order. Sometimes it is the simple things that we over look.
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #106
ya i agree spray some starter spry in there if it wont fire on that it wont fire ever xD

Reply #107
Alright Folks......heres the update.....

• I have rechecked my valves so I know they are good.

• I found TDC first by watching valve movement and then by confirming with my pulley and distributor so I know my internals are correct and my TDC is set correctly.

• I'm getting spark at my (new) blue coil, the distributor, and the plugs

• fuel pressure is good - gas at cylinders too

Here is my conclusion....all that being right...I determined my issue is most likley air in the system so I pulled off my SP manifold.  I am going to replace the gaskets at the heads and install a set of Kadrons I have been sitting on...(they look much nicer now)

just need a rebuild kit and linkage and they will be good to go.  I decided to stop worrying about the car and just have fun with it hence switching to the duals.

Still keeping my fingers crossed though....
1971 Super Beetle

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #108
Is the firing order correct with your plug wires?
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #109
Yes...it was...I pulled the wires when I removed the manifold.  With starting fluid it would sputter and cough but never catch. 
1971 Super Beetle

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #110
Is is just crappy gas then?

Todays gas doesn't hold its useful-ness like it did before all the corn was put into it.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #111
I honestly don't know..though I agree with you on the gas thing...the little bit of gas in he car is only about four months old...maybe that is too old though....

Soda blasting the Kads today...got to get a rebuild kit and air cleaners and I will be good to go
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #112

I honestly don't know..though I agree with you on the gas thing...the little bit of gas in he car is only about four months old...maybe that is too old though....

Soda blasting the Kads today...got to get a rebuild kit and air cleaners and I will be good to go
ya its funny i drained the gas out of the old volvo project and its leaded gas from the 70's and it still works just fine in my lawn moer but gas thats like 3 months old in the 3 wheeler is no good

Reply #113
carbs are all soda blasted and looking good.  Rebuild kits bought...air cleaners aquired....anyone have any advice for getting a stuck ball bearing out from under the accelerator jet?
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #114

carbs are all soda blasted and looking good.  Rebuild kits bought...air cleaners aquired....anyone have any advice for getting a stuck ball bearing out from under the accelerator jet?

if you can get to the other end a needle or piano wire

Reply #115
heres an updated pic of the carbs

I am still looking for advice on removing the ball bearing...also....anyone have any extra of these check balls lying around or know where to get one (not Lowbugget/A.J Simms)?

muchos gracias!
  • Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:49:14 PM by Revs71
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #116
Wow those cleaned up really nice. Why do you need an extra? Are you going to try the rare 3 carb setup....
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #117
...hadnt you heard.....that three carb set-up is all the rage....  :rotflmao:

im looking for a spare check ball for under the accelerator pump...i seem to be missing one    :lame:
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #118
I got n email from Jeff at the kaddieshack today...3 bucks...and my accelerator check balls will be on their way :2up:
1971 Super Beetle

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #119
Nice! Gotta check those balls!   :haha: :haha: :haha: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :flamethrower: :flamethrower:
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...