Skip to main content

Topic: Revs 71 (Read 75514 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Revs 71
Reply #15
Mystery solved ...I think...when I cracked open the case today I found the pin for the main bearing closest to the flywheel had come loose and was wobbly so the bearing was sitting off center...the bearing then began to rub on the case creating a nice set of grooves on one half of the case.  I think this case is toast but I have a spare so no worries.   I will post some pics of the carnage tomorrow.
  • Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:21:24 PM by Revs71
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #16

Yeah, you joke but I bet I can pull the motor and blow the pully off with my impact and have the motor back in before you can doing it your way.  :headbang:

Ah. Yeah i thinking NO. I have done it several times my way.
I wouldn't even have my carbs off your way  before I pulled the pully my way, and that's fact.:cheers2:
  • Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:22:17 PM by LooseNuts

Reply #17
Children, must we argue about everything?  :beat_deadhorse: :beat_deadhorse: :beat_deadhorse:

Welcome to wally world Rev!@#$%%
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Re: Re: Revs 71
Reply #18

Children, must we argue about everything?  :beat_deadhorse: :beat_deadhorse: :beat_deadhorse:

Welcome to wally world Rev!@#$%%

Pretty sure J and I are kidding u seem to be a little uptight though maybe u should have some 1 on 1 time with the rev and chill out

Reply #19
Dude I am far from uptight. You on the other hand regularly act like a child.
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #20
Mark, your blog here is sadly neglected! Please give some updates...  No more schmucks highjacking your thread either....    :haha: :haha: :haha:  :nono: :nono: :nono:
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

Reply #21

I think this case is toast but I have a spare so no worries.   I will post some pics of the carnage tomorrow.

Pics or it didn't happen  :rules:
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #22
Ok .....Here we go....

What I found.

10mm bolt in intake valve for #2  :2down:

Check out that Rod Bearing!!!!   Crank and Rods are TOAST!!!   :lame:

I was sick to my stomach finding this..

And Where I am now with MUCHO help from Kev.  He helped me get about 3 weeks of work done in one day!

Going back to single port 1500....bummer....but I have the parts I need for this and dont have to drop a lot of money on anything.
:cheers2:
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #23
looking good.   :2up:

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #24
I will be supplying some parts for him to get up to 1776...
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

Reply #25

Going back to single port 1500....bummer....

I can't knock the 1500 SP I'm running in my Bug right now. It is not quite running the way I want it too but it still tackled all the hills out to the beach and back in 4th gear. Not too shabby for a supposedly tired motor.
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #26
I hear ya...Im just dissappointed that a piston skirt for my 1641s broke.  Its not a huge loss but I think I may notice it a little on the hills.  At this point though my car has been sitting for nearly a year....time to get it running with something!
1971 Super Beetle

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #27
Motor is in...

Needs a bit o work still, electric fuel pump, etc...

Oh Lord, I Pray that this thing will run...

And a one of a kind oil filter bracket by me...

Reply #28
I realized I created this post and then never posted it.

Tins and exhaust on

and in the car.....

Anyone want to recommend a good fuel pump brand and/or location for an early superbeetle?  Any tips on set-up?  If I am not mistaken It needs to be about 2.5 lbs of pressure.  I assume it needs to be wired in so it is only powered when the key is on....I have a couple of accessories I have done like this so this shouldn't be a problem.
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #29
If you are going with an electric pump get the rotary one from DIP (it looks like a silver tube). Takes one screw to mount it under the fuel tank on the pan. Runs much quieter than the facet style, and will last longer too I have heard (my faucet style lasted about 6 months). Given I don't have a fuel gauge it was nice to get the heads up when the faucet would really start pounding that I needed to switch to the reserve tank. Just my 4 cents.
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork