Skip to main content

Topic: Revs 71 (Read 75489 times) previous topic - next topic

Revs 71
Hi everyone...

I wanted to introduce myself ...I have intentions of joining as soon as I can get some time...

I just moved to Portland (Hillsboro) in July from Twin Falls, ID and am happy to be in a place where more than 15 people own V dubs.
I currently have a 71 super I have bought in October of 08 and use as my DD.  This is my second super and first VW in over 10 years.  I owned a 71 super as my first car which didnt last long due to PO sabotage and my High School abilities to fix the innumerable issues with the car.

My car currently has a SP 1641  that I think is on its last legs and I hope to be pulling out in the near future to rebuild and update to a DP thanks to Kev.  I also have a nice AS41 case that I am planning to build up to a 2007cc over the next year or so.

Here are some pic of the  car . . .It was yellow when I bought it but I slowly painted it in stages and treated the rust  as I went.  Turned out pretty good I think Although I am not quite done with the doors yet - I have  one section around the windows left to paint.

• Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:04:45 PM by Revs71
1971 Super Beetle

Re: Revs 71
Reply #1
 :crig4:

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #2
 :stupid:

Another Super!

Soon we will be taking over...

:headbang:
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #3
Welcome! And good job on the painting. looks like it is coming along nicely!
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #4
This guy is pretty awesome. The "Rev" does not refer to rpm's but any more is up to him to clarify, lol.  He is pretty nice, and the car looks nice.

Kev
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

Reply #5
Howdy Rev  :crig4:

Looks like the Volksters now have some religion to go with the politics  :rotflmao:

Reply #6
Well, its my day job . . .but has very  little to do with Volkswagens . . .you cant tune and engine with a Bible.

Thanks all for the welcome.
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #7
Welcome to the website and club. If your not busy on Saturday, there's a little cruise happening to the beach. Welcome to come if you want.
eZuVor--Go Forward
When did that happen?

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #8
I'll have room in the Jeep...
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

Reply #9

Well, its my day job . . .but has very  little to do with Volkswagens . . .you cant tune an engine with a Bible.

Thanks all for the welcome.

Well Rev actually maybe you can, cause I tune AC and WC Dubs all day long and I am sure the Lord is there as I hear his name recited many times a day and I have occasionally heard requests for him to dam things as well. Either way Welcome to the forums. :crig4: 

Reply #10
Welcome Rev.  Good have you.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

Reply #11
Schmitty...you have a point.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Names Mark by the way.
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #12
So, I have been having a terrible drop in power lately...my engine never wants to rev above about 3500 either.  I checked and rechecked the timing, valves, points, tuned the carb, etc . . .with no change.  This all occurred suddenly on a drive from La Grande to Portland and has been getting worse ever since.  I finally got the engine out yesterday hoping to find out what was the problem.  Aside from 1 and 2 running really rich, everything looks ok.  I added a couple of pictures here of my heads/valves to see if anything looks out of place to ya'll.  The cylinders and pistons still look pristine aside from some carbon buildup on the tops of the pistons and it doesnt appear there has been any problem with the rings.  I did notice the endplay seemed a bit excessive but I dont think that is the culprit.  at any rate, I am going to break down the short block today or Friday to see if the insides will give me any clue and then will work to rebuild the engine in another case I have with the 1641 jugs and pistons, better flywheel off this motor, the DP heads from KEV and maybe some 1.25:1 rocker arms.

Here are the heads...thanks for your input.

Here are a couple of tools I have made.. a 45 degree 13mm wrench for the exhaust bolts, generator stand nuts, and carb mounting nuts - works like a charm - and a pulley puller I made by grinding a notch in some old engine studs, a fog light bracket, and some engine bolts I had.  It cost me nothing and I have used it several times and it works great!
1971 Super Beetle

Reply #13
Cool pully puller, :2up:

bet you don't need to remove the motor to use it.   :dontknow: :rotflmao: JK
  • Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:23:16 AM by LooseNuts

Reply #14

Cool pully puller, :2up:

bet you don't need to remove the motor to use it.   :dontknow: :rotflmao: JK

Yeah, you joke but I bet I can pull the motor and blow the pully off with my impact and have the motor back in before you can doing it your way.  :headbang: