Skip to main content

Topic: JBJetta's Drop Box (Read 100100 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JBJetta's Drop Box
Reply #30
wow.. that is off! ... what did they do to it?

easy fix.. just take your fender off, and move the bolts to one hole back... there. fender matches tire.. :)

but seriously... take it by a shop that has a frame straightener ..
we used them in the auto body biz... those things can literally rip a car in half (well... if you so wanted to pull a car in half that is. )  :wink:

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #31
Just put on some low profile tires and it will have plenty of clearance....

:rotflmao:
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #32
Woah, that is pretty far back isn't it?
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #33
So I have a '66 Bug now... My very first ACVW!  :2up: I'm pretty jazzed about it. When I brought my son out to see it out in the driveway for the very first time... I was following behind him walking up the driveway when he turned and punched me while yelling "Slug Bug!" I don't think we have played that in about 6 months or so. It was a good father and son moment for me. I can tell already that he is really going to enjoy the bug and that makes it all the more worth while for me. I'm hoping to take him on some cruises and other things this year. Gotta get that VW flowing in his blood!

I have a line on some nice chrome wheels already. Now I am going to start looking at lowering the front of the bug for sure. I'm undecided on the back yet though. I kind of like that front raked look. And I do still want a decent of ride as possible even though I won't be driving it all that often. So I will probably go with just some drop spindles for now. I like the idea of having front disc brakes. I would like to do the back at some point too if it is possible. What would be a good and inexpensive (not cheap) set of spindles and disc brakes to go with. I want good quality that won't break the bank.

I am also going to start collecting the parts to build a 1835 I think. I probably won't start putting it together until later this year so I am in no rush there. The Bug came with a set of 1835 heads. Darrin had not gotten any of the other parts together. I will be picking up some pistons and carbs from a member this next month. Not sure what else I will need. I will probably go read up on Ruwaldo's blog and look at his list of have's and need's. And if you have some stuff I could use... Please let me know. I should be getting my tax return that will be burning a hole in my pocket.

And speaking of engines... What would be the best engine to go with that is strong and reliable? should I maybe just stick with my 1641? It is a DP with a single carb. I'm sure I would enjoy it more with dual carbs  :2up:
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #34
nice.   :2up:

as far as motor changing. if it aint broke don't mess with it.   :driving:

except dual carbs  :2up:

JBJetta's Drop Box
Reply #35
I have a pair of ball joint drop spindles with very little use on them. I'd let them go cheap or in trade but if you are going to put front discs on then you should just get spindles with the kit.

If you ever think about letting those heads go give me a shout. That's one of the things on my shopping list.
Photography is where it's at.

My windows aren't fogged up, it's just a really good UV filter......

Reply #36
I have not called dip yet... But I looked up the price of one kit online with discs... For $1,400. I can live with drums for now  :rotflmao:

And depending on all the feedback I get on what a good motor would be for me. These heads may be up for grabs. I don't really want a super fast bug until I know the rest of the car can keep up with the motor. But I want something reliable and still have enough thrust to get excited about. I don't really plan on racing it too much anyways. Just something to go around town with and have fun in.

I got a few different exhaust options with the car as well. I like what is on it now though. I don't know what it is called. Has chrome pipes and looks the the pea shooter and where the tips would be... But MUCH bigger and LOUDER! Kind of obnoxious really. But I love it. Makes the bug sound big and mean.

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #37
Dual carbs are a must no matter what size engine you have.  I might have a header for a reasonable price, it is the kind that attaches to the heater boxes.  It is a bolt on basically. You would then just need a muffler for it.

The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #38
I actually got a stinger and a side muffle that should bolt on the header. I have something of a mild header that is not on the car. But by the looks of the flanges on the one side. It might leak. Not sure exactly how the connect to the car. Heat is always nice! Darrin installed the after market heater fan thingy that goes under the rear seat and forces air up to the defroster. Not sure if it works for the feet though.
  • Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:52:38 PM by jbjetta

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #39

I have not called dip yet... But I looked up the price of one kit online with discs... For $1,400. I can live with drums for now  :rotflmao:

And depending on all the feedback I get on what a good motor would be for me. These heads may be up for grabs. I don't really want a super fast bug until I know the rest of the car can keep up with the motor. But I want something reliable and still have enough thrust to get excited about. I don't really plan on racing it too much anyways. Just something to go around town with and have fun in.

I got a few different exhaust options with the car as well. I like what is on it now though. I don't know what it is called. Has chrome pipes and looks the the pea shooter and where the tips would be... But MUCH bigger and LOUDER! Kind of obnoxious really. But I love it. Makes the bug sound big and mean.

thsat seems really high in price for some reason.. i would say a set of drop spindles and decent disks up front should only run you maybe 7-800 max.

as for engine i have heard not to bother with 1776. 1835 is a good reliable engine and from what i hear what most people run because it has the thicker cylinder walls :cheers2:
current cars: 2005 Jetta GLI 1.8t 6-spd stage 2, 1976 Jeep CJ-5

Past cars: 1993 SLC corrado, 1969 std beetle, 1965 beetle, 1984 jetta GLI

Reply #40
Hmmm.  A 1776 has thicker cylinder walls than the 1835.
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

JBJetta's Drop Box
Reply #41
I thought the only difference was the stroke. A 1776 has 90.5 jugs and a stock stroke. The 1835 uses the same jugs with a longer stroke which is where the increase in displacement comes from. Cylinder walls are the same for both. Unless I'm totally off which I very well could be.

I've seen disc brake kits from $200 to almost $2000. Just depends which brand you want and how deep your pockets are. I recently put the bolt-on EMPI kit on the front and have had no issues with it at all. Its much better feeling than the stock.

• Kev
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Hebmuller

Reply #42
Nope, 1835 is stock stroke, just thinner walls on cylinders.  Not so good for heat dissipation. As far as disk brakes go, I was able to get a set of drop spindles for disks almost free, and then got cross drilled rotors and ghia calipers from DIP, had great brakes.
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

Reply #43

Nope, 1835 is stock stroke, just thinner walls on cylinders.  Not so good for heat dissipation.

Well I guess I should mention that I am facing the very possibility of moving to Texas by years end or sometime next year. I'm not sure what them country boys in Texas do for cooling. But I will need to build something with the best possible cooling in mind.

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #44
OK. Now I got it straight. The heads are the same for both but the cylinder walls are thinner for the 1835 because the jugs have been bored out to increase the displacement.