Skip to main content

Topic: JBJetta's Drop Box (Read 95302 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JBJetta's Drop Box
Reply #15
Awesome!  Very nice lookin.  I've always wanted one of those trucks.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #16
Well if that is how you can tell if you are dubbin then I am for sure....dubbin..

So what about scrapin?
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #17
I believe that one is "If you ain't draggin'... You ain't baggin'" But I can't remember for sure  :cheers:

Changed the gear oil in the transmission today. It was sorely in need of it too as it turns out. Also played with the TT short shift kit today. It was set to shortest shift, which still seem kind of mild compared to one my friend made. The longest shift seems to be longer then the factory... Maybe some people prefer it that way?  :dontknow:

Tomorrow I'm going down to do some break work and changing out the front strut bushings in my Jetta. I am hoping to limp it home tomorrow as well.
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #18

I believe that one is "If you ain't draggin'... You ain't baggin'" But I can't remember for sure  :cheers:

no its bags are for f@gs.

damn i cant wait tell my air ride is done

Reply #19
Me also J; I'm putting the engine build on hold so I can get air-ride and other things to make my ride solid.

Reply #20
I was not able to retrieve my GLI this weekend like I had hoped. The guy I bought it from thought it had brake issues. Turns out it was really a combination of the front strut bushings being bad, bad control arm bushing, and tie rod ends. So basically I brung down all the wrong parts to get the GLI road worthy to drive home. I did how ever have time to take it for a spin for the first time. I also swapped in the wheels that were on my Caddy. Dressed it up a bit... But far from the look I'm going for. I was hoping to pick up a tow dolly I had found on CL. But I was not able to get it until I got back to the Portland area.

Here is some pics of the GLI now.

And here is some of the dolly after I drug it home. I am in need of someone who can help me with some metal work that it needs. I'm not sure extactly how the wheels got bent... I'm assuming from either hauling something too heavy or not letting out air in the wheels while it was unloaded and it just bounced the crap out of the dolly and bent them. Either way... Actually... It is not the "wheels" that are bent but the stub axle or what ever from the hub to the end welded to the frame. The frame looks slightly bent at the weld. I need to put it up on blocks maybe and get a torch and BFH (Big Friggin' Hammer) and try to straighten it out the best I can. Also need to add a support to both sides to hopefully keep that from happening again.
But it is well worth what I paid for it and it came with new straps.

• Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:55:06 PM by jbjetta

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #21
Looks like it bent your caddy in the last pic. Nice pickup on the dolly. Loves me some BFH!!
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #22
I would Seriously doubt that a BFH is going to help in that situation. Your going to probably have to get a hydralic jack with some chains or something to bend it back into place is what I am thinking.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #23
That was why I was hoping maybe heating it up in a torch MIGHT do it. Looks to be a nice home made dolly. But I'm not sure they used good steel for the frame. Looking how it is bent... either it is too soft of a steel or was just not supported properly. But my dad did mention the idea about a hydralic press or something to help bend it back down. I will start another thread looking for someone that have the means to help me to fix this. Or I may have to go to town and get some quotes from a body shop or someone with a frame straightener. Plus side is though... I can drag the dolly on any of our long cruises just incase someone breaks down is over the 100 mile mark for AAA or something and bring them to within it or all the way home. It won't make it to the beach cruise though this year.

I could comfortably tow mk1's and mk2's as well as most ACVW. They are rather light. I've seen my buddy tow a Vanagon and a 1986 Camaro with his Caddy. But I don't have super swamper bogger cojones like he does :ugly_tocktock:

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #24
What you may be able to do is use a simple floor jack.  You jack it up under the frame. Then use a chain around the jack and up to the stub axle.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #25
I was able to drag home my newest Jetta home today with Ryan's help today. The wet weather made it a little bit tricky getting it up on the trailer and over the fenders with the car not sliding off. Took about a half hour or so to get it up and on and ready to go home. We were planning on loading up my other Jetta down in the Roseburg area... But I had to break out the tape measure to verify that we could not in fact fit the second car on. So we decided to call it a day and head home. Here is a few pics of todays events.

The Jetta will look really nice when I get it lowered, low pro tires, euro bumper, and euro headlights. I may attempt the Dodge Dynasty head light conversion that I've been reading about that make it look like it has the euro headlights. Needs some TLC and tuning up for sure. But I am loving it!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #26
Yea, those dang american bumpers right!?  Haha. sorry we couldn't fit the second car on there dude.
RyanB

66 Baja

Certified Project addict

Reply #27
So I put in some H&R springs today in the front end of the Jetta in hopes it would fix the camber/toe alignment issues I've been having... Turns out though. I just realized that the front sub frame on the driver side is rather screwed. I'm not sure if someone maybe curbed it or jumped something. So now I am looking at focusing on getting the Caddy through DEQ instead of the Jetta right now.

I have never had a car where I or someone else had messed up the sub frame. I know the mk2 sub frames you can swap out. Are the mk1's the same? Or it the whole frame garbage now?

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #28
If you can't replace it take it to Kalberer frame and line up over off of Foster blvd. That dude will bend shizzle to where it needs to be to line up the car. Better than junking the car to the pick and pull...
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #29
Thanks for the suggestion. I had it mind of finding someone with a frame straightener before I gave up on this car body. Being it is a GLI, I didn't want to give it up without a fight. I don't know if they are rare. But it is the first mk1 GLI I have ever seen. I'm hoping if I can't get it replaced, that I can get it straightened and put in a support bar like what my Caddy has. Here is what the car looks like right now with the sub frame messed up. I don't remember seeing the wheel pushed back like that before though.

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)