Skip to main content

Topic: JBJetta's Drop Box (Read 100017 times) previous topic - next topic

JBJetta's Drop Box
So I have finally gotten rid of my GTI. Which is confusing considering I have a Jetta in my forum id. When I joined the club I had a Jetta. So hopefully if you were confused... you are not anymore... or did I just make it worse?  :dontknow:

I traded the GTI straight a crossed for a 1980 Caddy and a 1984 Jetta GLI. So I do have a Jetta again! The truck is real clean and straight except for a few small spots. It has a GTI 1.8L engine with a G-Grind cam and TT downpipe back. Has a Euro bumper on the front as well I believe.  Great running truck! The car runs but has not been driven in a few years. It has the stock 1.8L engine that the 1984 GTI has. No mods or anything. Has a few dings here and there but nothing major. It has miss matched wheels for now until I can pick up a full set of snowflakes or some BBS RS's some day. Only big issue I know of right now is the front window seal leaks. But that is an easy fix until I can afford to replace the seal all the way around.

Here is a few pics of the truck...

And here is a few pics of the car from a few months ago. The tags are not current so I will need to get a car dolly to get it back home if anyone has one that I can rent would be great :D

So those are what I will be rolling around in some mk1's for awhile. I really do like mk1's a lot. I am planning on leaving the Caddy the way it is and just run it until the engine gets tired. I would like to drive the Jetta around until I gather up all the things I will need for an engine swap. I am planning on swapping in a 2.0L AEG engine from a newer beetle. The cross flow intake comes out on the same side as the mk1's do. With a chip, cam, and cone that car should be pretty fast! Maybe someday it will see a 16v... Someday. I will use the old engine from the Jetta as a spare for the Caddy.  :2up:
Schneller Dummkopf! Aus meinen Weg!

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Re: JBJetta's Drop Box
Reply #1
Almost forgot to mention that the truck has 4 wheel disc brakes  :driving:

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #2
That's a sweet score!

My VW teeth were cut on a 78 rabbit so I have a sweet spot for the Mk1's.  The truck is cool. I have always kinda wanted one of those.

She's a beauty clark!

:headbang:
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #3
Not a bad deal.
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #4
My very first VW was an '84 GTI with a cam and Audi throttle body (I believe the 5 cylinder one). Was a great car but had a lot of rust. So much... that when you would rock side to side in the seat... the floor board would rock with it. I was afraid that someday I would hit a pot hole and disappear Bond style out through the floor board and onto the pavement.

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #5
Thats why you lower them to an inch from the ground. That was you don't have so far to fall. I have a friend who had their tranny mount go out in his Toyota mini truck. He had to hold it up by the gear shifter from just outside L.A. to Vegas. He let her skid on the ground a few times when his arm got tired, but since he was only an inch off the ground it wasn't much of a problem!!!
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #6
LOL  :haha: That is pretty funny. That is a good bit of advice actually. It was not that fall that scared me though... It was though of my skin getting sheared off on the pavement or just plain ran over by a car I was just driving.... while still in the driver seat :waiting:

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #7
So I stopped in at Mark's on my way home today. I was looking over some of the vaccum lines on two of his mk1's. I found a few small discrepencies with what I had compared to him. My biggest issue right now to get passed DEQ is getting my O2 sensor hooked up correctly. Looks like someone chopped it off and part of the wire harness with it possibly. I did also confirm I have the larger throttlebody from either a GTI or the Audi 5 cyclinder. No Nuespeed one though.

Mark also pointed out that I have the Techtonics short shift kit in my truck as well. Doesn't feel like one to me. I think it is currently set up as regular shift I guess. Looks to have a few holes to choose from. I may have to look into setting it up as short shift again after I clean out the engine bay in the next week or two. But I'm constantly finding lil goodies that make me like this truck more and more. It has a few some things that need some attention. Maybe a big one. But overall I'm pretty satisfied with my trade...  And I have not even gotten the Jetta up here to poke around at it yet. I plan on trying to get it home on the 25th.

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #8
I was able to SQUEEZE my 17" wheels that I had on my GTI under the Caddy today. The rubber clears comfortably in both directions. But the driver side wheel sometimes grazes the strut. But nothing serious besides a light rubbing. Also fixed the oil leak from around my distributor as well as timed the truck. I still need to gap the plugs and get the air box secured. But I'm pretty happy with the little progress I made. The wheels were a big hurtle for me. I was told I could not fit anything larger then a 15" under a mk1 VW. Guess I heard wrong :D Found out I have an oil pan gasket in need of replacing. I will probably get the nice rubber gasket and a windage tray for it. Oh! And that I have an issue with either worn bolt bushings for the bolts that hold on the driver side front brake caliper. Either bushings are shot or someone used bolts that were too long. I will trouble shoot it more when I get my Jetta up here.

• Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:37:25 PM by jbjetta

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

• CatBox
  • [*]
  • Volkster

Reply #9
looks good maynard!
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

Reply #10
Gee, whose the car model   :grin:
eZuVor--Go Forward
When did that happen?

Reply #11
That is my Mini Me. He is 1/8th my size and evil just like his father  :headbang:

So I took the 17"'s to task today and took them on a rub run... Loaded it up with wood for the winter until the truck was firmly planted on the bump stops. Had no clearance issues... but then again... the rear tires are rather worn out. I'm not sure how well tires with fresh rubber would fit though. I could always trim the inside of the fenders if needed for extra clearance.

Power wise was much better then I expected! I'm pretty happy with the performance it gave me on the ride home coming over the hill on 219 from Newberg to Hillsboro. But I guess I should have expected more with the cam and large throttle body in it. I was even gaining speed in 4th gear coming up the hill  :driving:

Pics:

• Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:14:55 PM by jbjetta

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)

Reply #12
likin the caddy  :2up:

Reply #13
That thing looks a shi ton better with those wheels on it. :stupid:
Folkswerks.com
Cultwagen.com

Gangsta Dork

Reply #14
Yeah I'm loving the new look  :grin: Can't wait to get it lowered though  :2up: If it ain't rubbin'... I'm not Dubbin'  :headbang:

Current Vw(s)
'13 Jetta TDI (Lucifer)